Moving primary and secondary nav to the top

olliedog

Hi,

Ive been struggling with this for a week or so, all the documentation details adding and removing items to/from the primary nav with hooks etc, but nothing I can find details moving the primary and secondary nav to the top navigation bar of the page, so we only have one navigation bar at the top and not two. Ive tried a couple of things, but always break the templates

Can someone point me to the right information to achieve this?

thanks

Andy

nav.png

Hi Andy,

59 minutes ago, olliedog said:

Ive been struggling with this for a week or so, all the documentation details adding and removing items to/from the primary nav with hooks etc, but nothing I can find details moving the primary and secondary nav to the top navigation bar of the page, so we only have one navigation bar at the top and not two. Ive tried a couple of things, but always break the templates

moving, in this sense, has little to do with hooks and more to do with tweaking the templates - in this case, usually header.tpl

for example, if I swap the positions of the "main-menu" and "header" sections in header.tpl, that moves the navbar menu to the top and the header beneath it...

UnFWL7U.png

now in your case, possibly you'll have to split the navbar layout into 3 - logo on left, primary navbar in middle and notifications on the right - but bear in mind that there will be lots of issues that you might run into.... one being that notifications are only applicable to logged in clients (yeah I can see your example navbar is logged in), but what happens for users not logged in? what happens to the existing links in the secondary navbar if you aren't going to show it?? how will it work on mobiles ???

the primary menu content itself can still be modified with a hook, but it's location and what's going on around it has more to with the template(s) and manipulating the html/css & Smarty within it.

Hi Brian,

46 minutes ago, brian! said:

the primary menu content itself can still be modified with a hook, but it's location and what's going on around it has more to with the template(s) and manipulating the html/css & Smarty within it.

thanks for the comments, I though it might be quite easy todo, but it seems its not, Im not a developer, and don't understand Smarty templates, so will leave it as is.

thanks for the help

Andy