1 order form 2 different designs

SIM

Can this be done? Can you have 2 different designs for one order form, showing one design to existing customers and the other design to other visitors? I think the system can only identify an existing customer if they are already logged in, correct? If this is correct, could a command be written saying something like logged in visitors = existing customers. if visitor is an existing customer show design 1 if not show design 2

I don't know anything about programming so please don't laugh at my attempt to create a command, just trying to give the idea of what I'm thinking... but is this doable?

2 minutes ago, SIM said:

but is this doable?

yes.

the simplistic way might be to do it in the template(s), e.g

{if $loggedin}output template design A{else}output template design B{/if}

or you could redirect to a specific orderform template using a hook based on the loggedin status.

how different will the orderforms designs be e.g are they slight variations on each other or radically different ??

5 minutes ago, SIM said:

It would be pretty much the same design just that one will have additional information geared toward  visitors that are not yet customers 

oh if it's purely a text issue, e.g display this text string if they're logged in and another string if they're not, then that will definitely be doable - either by editing the template(s) and using if statements as per above, or by using a hook to rewrite these language strings on the fly based on the user's logged in status.

if you go down the path of using hooks, then it should remove the need to reapply the changes after each update.

46 minutes ago, brian! said:

oh if it's purely a text issue, e.g display this text string if they're logged in and another string if they're not, then that will definitely be doable - either by editing the template(s) and using if statements as per above, or by using a hook to rewrite these language strings on the fly based on the user's logged in status.

if you go down the path of using hooks, then it should remove the need to reapply the changes after each update.

OK thank you very much brain using a command to show the text string sounds like it! I appreciate your help