customization

I know this topic has been discussed with great detail and there are themes available for purchase (which I have tried).. but I just want to make a few simple css changes and have them stay after updating. I have been manually fixing my site for years because cloning the SIX  and BLEND templates and updating CSS and logo they broke after an update.. 
IE: in the front end ... index.php?rp=/account/paymentmethods   is empty .. customers can't see or update payment methods.

I just want to change my logo and 5 color selectors for the front end (SIX) template ..
NOTE: I had custom.css working before the latest update, but now that broke and my colors are back to default... even though custom.css still contains my overrides.

and for the back end ..(BLEND) template change my logo and 2 colors ..  and add an 'all active tickets' link to the top text links in the header (I have been updating the file manually after every update, so I know the code to do it.. I just don't know where to put it to make it stay) 

any advice appreciated.

15 hours ago, websitewendy said:

IE: in the front end ... index.php?rp=/account/paymentmethods   is empty .. customers can't see or update payment methods.

that's probably because your custom template doesn't include the 'payments' folder and the other updated payment templates within Six.

15 hours ago, websitewendy said:

I just want to change my logo and 5 color selectors for the front end (SIX) template ..
NOTE: I had custom.css working before the latest update, but now that broke and my colors are back to default... even though custom.css still contains my overrides.

unless i'm missing something, both of the custom.css files within Six and your custom template are empty - there's nothing in them other than the usual header comments.

from what I can tell, it looks like you've been directly modifying all.min.css - using Six, that would certainly get overwritten during an update (as would custom.css); in a custom template, WHMCS shouldn't touch either file.

16 hours ago, websitewendy said:

and for the back end ..(BLEND) template change my logo and 2 colors ..  and add an 'all active tickets' link to the top text links in the header (I have been updating the file manually after every update, so I know the code to do it.. I just don't know where to put it to make it stay)  

I posted a hook years ago that would allow you to have a custom.css file with your admin template...

changing the logo and adding that link would be done by editing header.tpl... possibly both could be replaced by using a jQuery hook...