How to stop WHMCS from accepting invalid Domain Renewal Period orders?

AndyW

WHMCS is accepting a 10years domain renewal order for a .com which can be only renewed for remaining 7year !!!

Details:
Domain .COM is set to expire in three years from now.
Client goes to WHMCS domain renewal and selects maximum period of 10year and places order

Issue:

.COM domains can only have 10year lease in total. So even though we have a 10year renewal order we can only execute it for balance 7years.
What do we do with the balance 3years of prepaid renewal???
... Option 1:  renew the domain FOC basis after3 years for the balance 3years (crazy! - tracking nightmare, pricing nightmare etc)
... Option 2:  refund the client of the 3years of unexecutable paid domain renewal fee

In either case, client get the feeling WHMCS is the incorrect registrar for managing his domain compared to name.com or godaddy interfaces, as they would not never face such an issue there. They feel WHMCS interface is not designed for domain management and decide to move away from us!!!

I'm sure such basic facility is present in WHMCS and I have misconfigured WHMCS. Could someone help me fix the issue such that customers donot run away from us,

Hi Andy,

3 hours ago, AndyW said:

WHMCS is accepting a 10years domain renewal order for a .com which can be only renewed for remaining 7year !!!

I agree! 🙄

TZYHqtL.png

my recollection is that this used to work correctly, though i've just tested this in v7.5 and it's doing the same thing... and even on v7.1.2, it would still allow me a 10-year renewal on a domain that has 3 years left....

D8VbgQB.png

so maybe it only worked correctly on v6... hmm.

3 hours ago, AndyW said:

I'm sure such basic facility is present in WHMCS and I have misconfigured WHMCS.

then I have misconfigured it too.... but if we haven't, this must be a long-standing bug. 😲

3 hours ago, AndyW said:

Could someone help me fix the issue such that customers do not run away from us,

short-term, you can turn the on-demand domain renewals option off in general settings -> domains, but i'll take a look at this tomorrow as I suspect it can be quickly fixed with a hook (famous last words!)...