Change VAT Number to TAX ID/VAT on order form

Open your english.php file, read this and look for the following strings:

$_LANG['tax']['taxLabel'] = "Tax ID";
$_LANG['tax']['vatLabel'] = "VAT Number";

Anyway think twice. Are you 100% sure that you really want customers to use the same field for both VAT numbers and Tax ID? For a million of reasons you'll probably need both values and not just one at a time.

Edited by Kian

Hello @Kian,

Thank you for the reply! Am I missing something here? I am under the impression that the VAT Number field on the order form is the same thing as a businesses Tax ID Number. Is this not the case? The whole reason I'm looking to modify this is because I deal with a lot of customers in the USA and they do not understand what VAT stands for so I'm constantly answering this question. Having it say "Tax ID / VAT Number" instead of just "VAT Number" would be helpful.

Hello @Kian

I clarified this with WHMCS Support and they had this to say.

This field is called "Tax ID" but changes to being called "VAT Number" when you enable "VAT Mode" at Setup > Payments > Tax Configuration > VAT Settings .

This is why there are two language strings in the language files.

With this information it means there is absolutely no issue with changing the field to say "Tax ID / VAT Number".

14 hours ago, N8Solutions said:

Am I missing something here? I am under the impression that the VAT Number field on the order form is the same thing as a businesses Tax ID Number. Is this not the case? 

Apart from WHMCS (whics does a little mess about TAX ID and VAT ID), it's something which change depending on the country... but usually it's something DIFFERENT.

TAX ID is the ID assigned to a person OR to a company

VAT ID is assigned only a companies involved in commercial activity relevant to VAT.

I.e:

• in Italy, tax ID is alphanumeric for persons and numeric for companies; VAT ID is only numeric (and often is the same as TAX ID, but not always)
  • in Slovenia, TAX ID for companies and VAT ID are always just numeric, and always different
  • in Germany, VAT ID is numeric, and TAD ID something like 123/456/12345

... and so on...

@Remitur

Thank you for the extra information. Regardless of how Tax ID & VAT is defined in each country, when someone is signing up for service, they will know ahead of time if the invoice will be submitted to their tax office as a business expense which means they will know what needs to be entered in that field.