Hook to Change H1 Headings for Knowledgebase Articles and Categories

BakH

Hello guys,

I am trying to write a hook to replace the h1 heading (title) "Knowledgebase" on both knowledgebase categories and articles with the actual category/article headings. Currently, all articles and categories have "Knowledgebase" as the main heading then the category or article title as  sub-heading (h2). To me, this is not cool for both UX and SEO.

I am completely deleting the $kbarticle.title variable from the kb-article-title class section of the file knowledgebasearticle.tpl. I want $kbarticle.title to be loaded by hook  into the $title variable of pageheader.tpl so that it replaces the "Knowledgebase" on KB articles. Also, I want to load the category name $kbcat.name into the $title variable of pageheader.tpl on KB category pages. Also, I want category names to be used as page titles in the address bar by loading $kbcat.name into the $pagetitle variable of the header.tpl file.

Here is the hook I have written but it doesn't seem to work.

<?php

if (!defined("WHMCS"))
    die("This file cannot be accessed directly");

add_hook('ClientAreaPageKnowledgebase', 1, function($vars)
{
	if ($vars['kbarticle']['title'])
	{
	    $articleh1 = $var['kbarticle']['title']; //to preplace "Knowledgebase"
	    $output['title'] = $var['title'];
		$output['title'] = $articleh1;

return $output;
	}
	else if ($vars['kbcat']['name'])
	{
	    $output['title'] = $vars['title'];
		$output['title'] = $vars['kbcat']['name'];
	    $output['pagetitle'] = $vars['pagetitle'];
		$output['pagetitle'] = $vars['kbcat']['name'];

return $output;
	}
	else{
	}
});

Someone help.

On 19/04/2019 at 12:38, BakH said:

I am trying to write a hook to replace the h1 heading (title) "Knowledgebase" on both knowledgebase categories and articles with the actual category/article headings. Currently, all articles and categories have "Knowledgebase" as the main heading then the category or article title as  sub-heading (h2). To me, this is not cool for both UX and SEO.

i'm tempted to suggest why don't you edit header.tpl and change...

<title>{if $kbarticle.title}{$kbarticle.title} - {/if}{$pagetitle} - {$companyname}</title>

to...

<title>{if $kbarticle.categoryname}{$kbarticle.categoryname} - {/if}{if $kbarticle.title}{$kbarticle.title} - {/if}{if $catname}{$catname} - {/if}{if !$templatefile|in_array:array('knowledgebasearticle','knowledgebasecat')}{$pagetitle} - {/if}{$companyname}</title>

sure, you'd have to update the template after ever update - but there's hardly ever more than six of them a year... less if you ignore the bugged major initial releases and wait for their first maintenance update to be released. 🙂

On 19/04/2019 at 12:38, BakH said:

I am completely deleting the $kbarticle.title variable from the kb-article-title class section of the file knowledgebasearticle.tpl. I want $kbarticle.title to be loaded by hook  into the $title variable of pageheader.tpl so that it replaces the "Knowledgebase" on KB articles. Also, I want to load the category name $kbcat.name into the $title variable of pageheader.tpl on KB category pages. Also, I want category names to be used as page titles in the address bar by loading $kbcat.name into the $pagetitle variable of the header.tpl file.

I think the above Smarty code should do all that. 🙂

On 27/04/2019 at 07:42, BakH said:

Guys anyone to come to my rescue here? @brian! any assistance from you on this?

if you desperately need it as a hook, i'm sure that it could be done that way. 🙂

1 hour ago, brian! said:

<title>{if $kbarticle.categoryname}{$kbarticle.categoryname} - {/if}{if $kbarticle.title}{$kbarticle.title} - {/if}{if $catname}{$catname} - {/if}{if !$templatefile|in_array:array('knowledgebasearticle','knowledgebasecat')}{$pagetitle} - {/if}{$companyname}</title>

Thanks @brian!. This has played the trick. I just modified the code a little and it's now doing just what I was looking for. This is what I did just in case someone would like to do the same.

In header.tpl, I replaced the code 

<title>{if $kbarticle.title}{$kbarticle.title} - {/if}{$pagetitle} - {$companyname}</title>

with

<title>{if $kbarticle.title}{$kbarticle.title} - {elseif $kbarticle.categoryname}{$kbarticle.categoryname} - {elseif $catname}{$catname}- {/if}{if $templatefile eq 'knowledgebasecat'} {$LANG.knowledgebasetitle} {$LANG.knowledgebasecategories} - {/if}{if !$templatefile|in_array:array('knowledgebasearticle','knowledgebasecat')}{$pagetitle} - {/if}{$companyname}</title>

Then, in pageheader.tpl, I replaced the code

<h1>{$title}{if $desc} <small>{$desc}</small>{/if}</h1>

with

<h1>{if $kbarticle.title}{$kbarticle.title}{elseif $kbarticle.categoryname}{$kbarticle.categoryname}{elseif $catname}{$catname}{/if} {if !$templatefile|in_array:array('knowledgebasearticle','knowledgebasecat')}{$pagetitle} {/if}</h1>

Then in knowledgebasearticle.tpl, I deleted out the code

<h2>{$kbarticle.title}</h2>

And yes, this has served the purpose.

1 hour ago, brian! said:

I think the above Smarty code should do all that. 🙂

Surely it did!

1 hour ago, brian! said:

if you desperately need it as a hook, i'm sure that it could be done that way. 🙂

It's what I had wanted but I couldn't figure out why it failed. Nonetheless, I had to go the Smarty way which worked.

1 hour ago, brian! said:

sure, you'd have to update the template after ever update - but there's hardly ever more than six of them a year... less if you ignore the bugged major initial releases and wait for their first maintenance update to be released. 🙂

It's what I wanted to avoid by using the hook, but oops, it's the only working option. So, I will have to go that way... at least for now!

20 hours ago, BakH said:

It's what I wanted to avoid by using the hook, but oops, it's the only working option. So, I will have to go that way... at least for now!

quickly converting your hook code to a working hook would give you...

<?php

add_hook('ClientAreaPageKnowledgebase', 1, function($vars) 
{
	if ($vars['kbarticle']['title']) {
		return array ("title" => $vars['kbarticle']['title']);
	}
	elseif ($vars['catname']) {
		return array ("title" => $vars['catname'], "pagetitle" => $vars['catname']);
	}
});

now you should be able to take the logic from your updated Smarty to this hook... you know the variables now, and what you want to do with them - but if you use a hook, you may have to revert the templates back to their original state...

anyway, it's something for you to play with. 🙂