Logicboxes API does not play nice with WHMCS

I'm aware of this issue for a year or so but I decided to post this now. It seems the logicbox API (that several domain registrars) use for sometime now makes a ZIP code format check. It means that customers with an invalid zip code cannot change their contact details. WHMCS will give them an error over and over again without any idea why its failing The thing is even worse because those persons and new customers will also have their new domain registrations fails for invalid zip code error.

Example, someone has as zip code 01, but a minimum of 4 digits are required. If I change this manually, it works fine. But...

Here comes the big issue. You cannot simple make a regex check here on the WHMCS field because the zip code format is different for each country. For some countries its 3 digits, for others 4, for others 6. I have tested this multiple times, if you require 4 digits on sign up it might work fine for the US and other countries but then domain registrations will fail for invalid zip code for other countries once its transferred to the logic box API. The thing is even worse because in some countries there is no zip code and people enter random numbers, I solve this by using 0000 or something similar. I'm afraid the only solution would be similar to the country code phone, having a lists of pre-made zip code formats for each countries that changes the proper format based on the country the user selected. This would require WHMCS implemented this feature as currently the zip code field is just a dumb field that works the same for all countries.

This is causing me a huge problem as people don't know their zip code or just enter it incorrectly and then complain the domain is not registered and current customers also constantly open tickets because they cannot update a domain contact. Speaking of domain contacts, the data that WHMCS obtains from the API's are also in English. I complained about this in the past and WHMCS said they cannot give me the module code to improve this. This is just a poor job in coding for any software. Even the error codes are output in raw messages (not even English but the error API code...), they just show the same error they get from the API, this is a support nightmare because different registrars show different errors, this data is displayed on the customer page which is just silly. Is is really so hard for WHMCS to intercept the API messages from each API and use the proper locale files? That way you can have the error/success messages and other contact info in a proper consistent way and of course in the proper customer language.

• 5 years later...