Problem with using PHP Tags on WHMCS 7.4

Desperadouz

Hello,

i was using WHMCS 6.x , i have a module that use PHP Tags on TPL Files.

when i upgraded from WHMCS 5 to WHMCS 6 I did this jobs :

enable "Allow Smarty PHP Tags" under Setup > General Settings > Other tab and change the applicable code using our instructions at http://docs.whmcs.com/Version_6_Template_Migration_Guide#.7Bphp.7D_Block_Syntax

and module was working.

but after upgrading to WHMCS 7.4 now pages that includes PHP Tags show error like this :

exception 'Whoops\Exception\ErrorException' with message 'Call to a member function getVariable() on null' in /home/usernsme/public_html/client/templates_c/e61033bc7b84f64ca1bfa51547087b1c13bd2c24_0.file.filename.tpl.php:24
Stack trace:

0 /home/username/public_html/client/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/Utility/Error/Run.php(0): WHMCS\Utility\Error\Run->handleError(1, 'Call to a membe...', '/home/username/...', 24)

can you help me tofix this problem ?

Best regards,

to be honest, i'm not really seeing anything in those {php} tags that you couldn't do with just Smarty...

so let's take your use of sprintf in the templates inside {php}..

{php}echo sprintf($template->getVariable('_lang')->value['point_tab_title'],$template->getVariable('_lang')->value['hostingaccount']);{/php}

you can use sprintf directly in Smarty as a PHP modifier... so as an example, i'll create two new language strings...

$_LANG['brian_string'] = 'There are %s letters in the alphabet';
$_LANG['brian_letters'] = '26';

in the template, if we just output the first string {$LANG.brian_string}, we will see...

There are %s letters in the alphabet

but if we use sprintf to use the value of one string in the other...

{$LANG.brian_string|sprintf:$LANG.brian_letters} 

There are 26 letters in the alphabet

so going back to your code, I suspect that...

{php}echo sprintf($template->getVariable('_lang')->value['point_tab_title'],$template->getVariable('_lang')->value['hostingaccount']);{/php}

could be changed to...

{$LANG.point_tab_title|sprintf:$LANG.hostingaccount}

though it's difficult to know for sure without seeing the actual language strings.

you could always add {debug} to the end of a template if you need to know what Smarty variables are available in the template - but generally the code just seems to be using PHP to access the Smarty variables.. which is a long-winded way to do it.

as a general rule, in v6, and much more in v7, if you see {php} tags, you need to ask yourself whether you need to use them.... in virtually all circumstances, the answer should be no... and you should remember that {php} tags were deprecated and are only "temporarily" being added by WHMCS... whether they will still do that in v8, I doubt - so it's probably best to move away from using them as soon as you can.