Whois opt-out in client area

HI Peter,

18 hours ago, peters web said:

I have clients who would like to opt out of whois but I cannot see a option to do this in the client area or on the order form.

have you enabled the ID Protection checkbox for each applicable TLD in domain pricing ?

Tld_pricing.png

https://docs.whmcs.com/Domain_Pricing#Domain_Addons_-_ID_Protection.2C_DNS_Management_.26_Email_Forwarding

and I say "applicable" because not all TLDs support ID Protection (whois privacy) - generally gTLDs will and ccTLDs won't, but there are exceptions to both... e.g .tv is a ccTLD (marketed as a gTLD) and that will support IDP, .uk won't....

note that WHMCS makes no checks on this, so you can actually add IDP as an option for .uk, take payment from the client for the service, but the service will not do anything... so son't just blindly add it for ALL TLDs (especially if you're charging for it) as the customer may be paying for a service you, or the registrar, can't provide.

19 hours ago, peters web said:

this should be available to clients given .uk domains have no ID protection.

.uk registrations should be asked if they want to opt-out of whois...

UWoaBnS.png

though I doubt whether that option is still relevant...

https://registrars.nominet.uk/namespace/uk/gdpr-changes

• The .UK WHOIS will no longer display the registrant’s name or address, unless they have given permission to do so – all other data shown in the current .UK WHOIS will remain the same.
  • For registrants who wish for their data to be published in the WHOIS, we will provide appropriate mechanisms to allow them to give their explicit consent.
  • The standard Searchable WHOIS will continue to be available, but will only include name and contact details where registrants have consented for their data to be published in the WHOIS to ensure GDPR compliance.

in other words, for .uk domains they're now opted out by default.