Dashboard stalling from time to time

notdonski

Recently upgraded to 7.6 from 6.3.2 and we’re experiencing this issue where the dashboard takes more than a minute to load from time to time. The login page loads immediately but after entering our credentials it would just spin there (like when it’s waiting for a script to finish).

After days of monitoring (and doing random adjustments that didn’t help) I’m fairly certain that it’s something in the dashboard as once it starts to occur, when I close the entire browser and open a new one — this time redirecting to another page in the admin area — it starts working. Once I go to the dashboard it stalls again. 

We have already disabled our custom widget and disabled the System Health widget, pushed the hotfix for the e-mail count, and even upgraded to 7.6.1, no luck. Nothing in the Apache logs and slow query log too.

Anyone else experiencing this?

A few questions also:

1) How long are the widget information cached for?

2) When we “hide” the widget does it completely disable it? As in, will it not load the data for the widget at all.

Thanks. 

On 06/09/2018 at 22:58, notdonski said:

1) How long are the widget information cached for?

if a widget is cached, it's defined in the widget code itself (in seconds)... you can open each up to check.

if you've upgraded from v6, then it's likely you've still got v6 widgets loading and it may be one of them causing the issue - have you tried removing the v6 widgets from the modules/widgets folder ?

10 hours ago, brian! said:

if a widget is cached, it's defined in the widget code itself (in seconds)... you can open each up to check.

if you've upgraded from v6, then it's likely you've still got v6 widgets loading and it may be one of them causing the issue - have you tried removing the v6 widgets from the modules/widgets folder ?

Some of the widgets (like the System Health widget) don't have the $cacheExpiry variable defined, only $cache = true. Do you happen to know the default value?

And would you know if "hiding" the widget (unchecking it from the gear menu) is as good as disabling it/(deleting the file from the widgets folder)?

We only have one custom widget and it has since been updated to match with v7's structure. But even after hiding that the problem still persisted.

--

I just completely deleted the widgets (the custom one we had, and System Health) completely from the widgets folder but it's difficult to tell if that fixes the issue as it occurs randomly.

11 hours ago, notdonski said:

Some of the widgets (like the System Health widget) don't have the $cacheExpiry variable defined, only $cache = true. Do you happen to know the default value?

not off-hand, I assume they're just cached until refreshed.

And would you know if "hiding" the widget (unchecking it from the gear menu) is as good as disabling it/(deleting the file from the widgets folder)?

I think they're just hidden, but WHMCS would be able to give a more definitive answer on that.

We only have one custom widget and it has since been updated to match with v7's structure. But even after hiding that the problem still persisted. 

I just completely deleted the widgets (the custom one we had, and System Health) completely from the widgets folder but it's difficult to tell if that fixes the issue as it occurs randomly.

I hate random errors... pain in the proverbial to debug when they don't occur regularly!

are you using Blend, v4 or a custom admin theme ?