[NOT A BUG] Possible to add a domain twice to the cart

isdoo

Hi,

It is possible to add a domain more than once to a shopping cart - whilst they might not do this if they only go through the domain page once, it is possible to go back to the domain order page and order the same domain twice.

Is it possible for a check to prevent duplication of a domain?

Just in case we get an idiot trying to order it twice ;)

• 1 month later...
Hi,

It is possible to add a domain more than once to a shopping cart - whilst they might not do this if they only go through the domain page once, it is possible to go back to the domain order page and order the same domain twice.

Is it possible for a check to prevent duplication of a domain?

Just in case we get an idiot trying to order it twice ;)

We actually have had customers do this. What happens is this:

1. Customer manages to order domain twice for 1 year on one invoice.

2. Domain renewal date in WHMCS gets set to 2 years from now.

3. WHMCS submits first registration to Enom - it succeeds.

4. WHMCS submits second registration to Enom - it fails (order already exists error.)

WHMCS will send the admin a failure emial, but if you don't catch it - the customer has paid twice, has a domain registered for 1 year, but a renewal date which is a year after the actual expiration. He will never be reminded to renew the domain, and it will expire. Then he'll ask you what sort of idiotic company you run, why you set his expiration date so far in advance, why you charged him twice for the domain, etc.

Okay, so the last part of that is conjecture, but you can see how this will cause problems.

I actually didn't realize the magnitude of this sort of problems until I noticed this bug. Then I decided to run a query to find all domains with expiration dates different than renewal dates, and had 70 domains with problems. I'm in the process of manually tracking them down, finding out what happened, and fixing them.

So far most of the problems are customers who managed to get the domain name registration onto an invoice twice, or customers who renewed their domain manually for 1 year, but multiple times, on the same day. First transaction succeeds, remaining fail due to Enom not allowing a second order for the same domain on the same day.

WHMCS should not allow this type of situation to occur in the first place.

Sure:

select * from tbldomains where expirydate != nextduedate order by expirydate

(I ordered by expirydate figuring the domains listed as expiring first would be the most important to address. In fact, in addition to the problem specifically mentioned in this thread, so far I've found two cases where domains went into redemption even though the customer renewed but WHMCS for some reason didn't get the domains renewed. Trying to figure out why that happened, and why the customers haven't asked about it.)

You'll also get pending and/or possibly failed transfers in the results, (depending on how well you've kept up with maintaining transfer results), as the expirydate is not set on those.

• 1 year later...
I checked today (v3.6.0) and it is still possible to add the same domain to the shopping cart.

Is this by design or will you fix it?

Thank you.

Still possible in v4 - would be nice to have a check in the order process.

• 2 weeks later...

Had this from a client today. Had to modify invoice and delete the products.

One thing I did notice is as the invoice price change, the order price does still not seem to change?

But back on topic, support for this would be good as some people manage to double order products and domains etc.