email marketer weird behaviour

I'm noticing a weird behaviour with the email marketer.

It basically sent a few email that should have not been sent.

So I have 2 questions:

1. I setup it up to send emails after next due date. This way it should only send the email if the client didn't renew right? If the client renews before next due date it gets moved forward in the future, so thta rule shall never go in use. Am I thinking the right way?

2. there is a way to check which marketer rule (I have 17 rules and plan to create new ones) has been triggered for each email sent to be able to isoltae the problem and figure out what is happening?

So I have few rules (reminders) that triggers after next due date (1 day, 20, 31, 55 days). These emails have been sent to clients whose plan expires in 2019. Even to a client who got an annual plan last month, so it doen't make any sense.

I was checking some dates, and it just seems random.

ps: please con't tell me to use the Overdue Reminder in the automation setting, this email marketer email serve a different purpose (and I'm already using the automated reminders).

7 hours ago, jacksoggetto said:

1. I setup it up to send emails after next due date. This way it should only send the email if the client didn't renew right? If the client renews before next due date it gets moved forward in the future, so that rule shall never go in use. Am I thinking the right way?

it might trigger if the client didn't renew until after the NDD... e.g if email triggered 2 days after NDD, but client renews after 5... if so, they'd have received the email.

2. there is a way to check which marketer rule (I have 17 rules and plan to create new ones) has been triggered for each email sent to be able to isolate the problem and figure out what is happening?

I don't believe so - though one simple solution might be to put some hidden text (e.g white, small font etc) and put a unique string in each template - i'm assuming multiple rules are using the same template ??

So I have few rules (reminders) that triggers after next due date (1 day, 20, 31, 55 days). These emails have been sent to clients whose plan expires in 2019.

do you know what it's NDD was when the email was sent ?

I was checking some dates, and it just seems random.

if it does turn out to be random, then it might be worth opening a ticket with Support and getting them to have a closer look - especially if it's v7.6 and this issue never occurred before in previous versions.

I was taking a closer look in these days. Setup a template per rule, and made the text different to identify them.

I noticed another mistaken one (might have been others I didn't notice, it would be too hard to check them indivdually).

emailmarketer rule:

number of days: 1, after next due date

product data:

NDD: 17/07/2019

invoice paid on: 17/07/2018 (so the next due date was the one above when the email got sent)

emailmarketer email sent on 18/08/2018 (doesn't make any sense in any case)

what is weird is that the same rule was applied correctly on the same day to another account.

I'm thinking... there is any possibility that the problem is due to this:

I setup a cron every 5 minutes like this:

php -q /home/user/whmcs_crons/cron.php skip --EmailMarketer

and then setup a cron at a more convenient time (a good time to send marketgin emails) like this:

php -q /home/user/whmcs_crons/cron.php do --EmailMarketer

I don't think this actually makes any difference. other than this I don't know what could be the problem

I just remembered I used some date merge fields in the template.

{$service_next_due_date} has been printed as 17/07/2019

{$service_reg_date} has been printed as 17/07/2018

And the mail was sent on 18/08/2018 even though is setup to send 1 day after next due date

so they are both correct.

I went on the email marketer rules and checked all of them singularly, and only the correct rule was set to send this email, I was guessing maybe the problem was due to a rule set to send this same template 31 days after order

Also, weird stuff but could be somehow... To be faster I created the rules using a sql query on phpmyadmin (copy row) and then edited the email template an number of days from whmcs admin (to avoid having to select all the products manually every time). can it be that this caused the problem?

I'm creating some tests to figure this out...

it might be worth opening a ticket with Support and working it through with them... certainly if this is v7.6 as there may be a possible bug that you're running into (and if that's the case, only WHMCS will know about it).

though keep the thread updated with any further clues, or solution, that you find... one of them may ring a bell with others who had a similar issue previously.