Limit Knowledgebase Articles/Categories by Client

Luthersites

Is there a way (an addon or something) which would allow for limiting what Knowledgebase articles or categories clients can access?

For example, if I want a client to have access to all articles in a "General Knowledge" category, but then only see the articles in a category created just for that client called "My Knowledgebase", and NEVER be able to see even the category called "Another Client's Knowledgebase". 

Any possibility here?

On 3/20/2018 at 15:29, Luthersites said:

Is there a way (an addon or something) which would allow for limiting what Knowledgebase articles or categories clients can access?

interesting question - there's no addon that i'm aware of.

On 3/20/2018 at 15:29, Luthersites said:

For example, if I want a client to have access to all articles in a "General Knowledge" category, but then only see the articles in a category created just for that client called "My Knowledgebase", and NEVER be able to see even the category called "Another Client's Knowledgebase". 

you can make kb articles "private", but that just means that any logged-in clients can view them, but not general visitors.

if you really had to make certain kb articles only visible to specific user(s), then you could do that using hooks because a) you'd be able to detect they were logged in and b) who they are (or are not).. you could possibly expand that to only show articles about product X, if the logged in client actually has an active product X and hide to those that haven't, but then that starts getting complicated!

... whether it's a good use of the knowledgebase for (in effect) private categories, i'm not sure. :?:

I did post last year about adding tags into the articles to personalise them (e.g name etc), but they would be dependent upon the information already being accessible by the article (or hooking the info in)...

The reason I might find this useful is that, as I start migrating clients over to my reseller account and give them clients accounts on this website, some of the sites I built a LONG time ago also have video tutorials associated with them.  It'd be nice if I could embed those videos into KB articles specifically for those clients...and maybe open this up to other custom builds I do for new clients. 

It looks like hooks is the way to go though, since there is no addon for it.  Thanks.  I DID find some pay-for services which provide some variation of it, but it's very expensive.

21 hours ago, Luthersites said:

some of the sites I built a LONG time ago also have video tutorials associated with them.  It'd be nice if I could embed those videos into KB articles specifically for those clients...and maybe open this up to other custom builds I do for new clients. 

you could certainly do that in a variety of ways...

• using tags as I suggested in the above thread (optionally with a hook passing the url of the video).
  • you could go the eval route and just use multiple if statements to use the correct video url for the logged-in client.
  • you could use a hook to determine which articles any logged in client can or cannot view.
21 hours ago, Luthersites said:

It looks like hooks is the way to go though, since there is no addon for it.  Thanks.  I DID find some pay-for services which provide some variation of it, but it's very expensive.

the alternative cheaper (free!) method might be to just use Client Files...

https://docs.whmcs.com/Clients:Summary_Tab#Files

The files section in a client's summary allows you to upload files specific to that customer.

• This can be used for documents, agreements or other downloads specific to the individual
  • Files can be set as Admin Only to only be viewed by admins, otherwise they show on the Client Area Homepage for the client to be able to download
  • Files are uploaded to the /attachments directory and can be added and managed from the Client Summary page in the admin area

rZ1SNAX.png

by default, these files are set to be downloaded, but there's nothing to stop you uploading files, e.g a .html file and embedding the video url in the code (or even a video depending on size), and then tweaking the homepage panel to link to it rather than try to download it... that way you could be certain that only the correct client would view that file because you'll be the one uploading it to the client's account.