Client cancelation process

Nairou

I have a question about the cancellation process when clients no longer want a service they are renting through WHMCS.

From what I can tell, they can't cancel their service directly, they can only make a request to have it canceled by an admin. Is there no option to allow them to cancel their own services immediately?

When handling cancellation requests, it looks like the process of canceling a service is two steps. First I have to click the "Terminate" button to actually delete the service from the server. Then I have to click the delete button to remove the service from their WHMCS account. Is there a more intuitive way to do this that I'm not seeing? I keep expecting to find a "Cancel" button or something which does both actions, fully canceling the customer's service from my systems.

Cancellations are, for the most part, automated. When a client requests cancellation, WHMCS will cancel per their instructions when the cron job runs. You just need to make sure to cancel the invoices manually, otherwise they will get paid (and if the invoice gets paid the due date is pushed out and then WHMCS doesn't cancel the service).

The part about the cancellation cron job sounds good. But manually cancelling invoices? That sounds like an issue we had with Modernbill, where people would cancel their service but Modernbill would continue billing them. Am I misunderstanding something or is WHMCS not capable of seeing that a service is cancelled already and just ignoring any following invoices?

I think you misunderstand. WHMCS doesn't invoice a product marked "Cancelled". But, if an invoice already exists for a product and then someone requests cancellation, WHMCS doesn't mark the invoice as "Cancelled".

Also, even if someone requests cancellation, their product will still be invoices because WHMCS doesn't mark it as "Cancelled" until it is actually cancelled. There probably should be a "Pending Cancellation" status that WHMCS won't invoice on to fix this issue.

• 2 months later...
I think you misunderstand. WHMCS doesn't invoice a product marked "Cancelled". But, if an invoice already exists for a product and then someone requests cancellation, WHMCS doesn't mark the invoice as "Cancelled".

Also, even if someone requests cancellation, their product will still be invoices because WHMCS doesn't mark it as "Cancelled" until it is actually cancelled. There probably should be a "Pending Cancellation" status that WHMCS won't invoice on to fix this issue.

I agree, i think its rather dumb that whmcs will still create an invoice for services that are pending cancellation at the end of the month. Its a problem we have to deal with dozens of times a month.

You know, I find the lack of documentation on how to do things in WHMCS really disappointing. I had a customer cancel today. I wasn't sure of the process so naturally I went to the help. Nothing, NADA. C'mon. There should be clear guidance as to what to do in common situations.

So, what exactly is the process? I logged in as the customer and hit the request cancellation immediately option. That's great. Now what?? Does the automation close the account during the batch run tonight? Does the customer automatically get refunded a prorated amount for the unused service? Do I need to manually do anything like inactivate the customer or is it handled automatically? Apparently I have to manually cancel pending invoices if there are any.

I'm not sure why a simple process is so confusing, but a clear step by step manual would really be helpful, especially to newbies, and prevent stupid mistakes that cannot be reverted or could really screw things up.

You know, I find the lack of documentation on how to do things in WHMCS really disappointing. I had a customer cancel today. I wasn't sure of the process so naturally I went to the help. Nothing, NADA. C'mon. There should be clear guidance as to what to do in common situations.

So, what exactly is the process? I logged in as the customer and hit the request cancellation immediately option. That's great. Now what?? Does the automation close the account during the batch run tonight? Does the customer automatically get refunded a prorated amount for the unused service? Do I need to manually do anything like inactivate the customer or is it handled automatically? Apparently I have to manually cancel pending invoices if there are any.

I'm not sure why a simple process is so confusing, but a clear step by step manual would really be helpful, especially to newbies, and prevent stupid mistakes that cannot be reverted or could really screw things up.

Tony

I was just looking for answers myself on this exact same question/s.

Also there is the added question, that if you have disabled the option (under: Configuration > General Settings > Other) for clients to be able to request cancellations themselves, what do you do?

What is the correct procedure/s please?

Also I have a cancellation sitting in the cancellations section. How do I process it Now, (to clean things up) because the client does not need it and it was requested (I did it through the client login) to cancel at the end of the billing period.

(So like now, I realise I should have set it for immediate cancellation).

But I still don't know what is supposed to happen and when, etc etc etc.

Also there is the option now to set the client to "Inactive".

What exactly does this do?

Does it mean they will not be able to login to their account anymore?

What else does this do, please?

John

So, what exactly is the process?

Does the automation close the account during the batch run tonight?

Does the customer automatically get refunded a prorated amount for the unused service?

Do I need to manually do anything like inactivate the customer or is it handled automatically?

Some questions I would also like answering if anyone can.

Ta

I had a cancellation from a customer that was canceled in my old billing system some time ago but in the migration, this customer was restored and invoices started being sent. They summited a cancellation request. Of course, being new to WHMCS I also had no clue what to do but I saw somewhere that the cron would take care of it.

Well, it ran and then it still was not canceled and it said I had to manually cancel the account. I am not sure why but it was not hard to manually cancel things but I hope in the future things work in a more automated fashion.

Cancellations are almost completely automated if you setup WHMCS to cancel services.

What's not automated is WHMCS will not cancel an invoice that was generated for the product (either before or after cancellation requested), but the service itself is cancelled.

Hopefully soon, WHMCS will no longer generate invoices for products scheduled for cancellation, eliminating the last bit of confusion for clients when they requested cancellation days ago yet an invoice was generated for them today.

Cancellations are almost completely automated if you setup WHMCS to cancel services.

What's not automated is WHMCS will not cancel an invoice that was generated for the product (either before or after cancellation requested), but the service itself is cancelled.

Hopefully soon, WHMCS will no longer generate invoices for products scheduled for cancellation, eliminating the last bit of confusion for clients when they requested cancellation days ago yet an invoice was generated for them today.

This would be helpful. I have a few final questions as well...

One of my customer's has a hosting package through me and has cancelled the subscription inside paypal. Now, what would be the best way for me to cancel her service? Login as her and submit a cancel request, then go into my active services and set that to cancel? Is that all that needs to be done?

Finally, say someone logs into their account and presses the cancel button, Does that also cancel their paypal subscription or must they do that manually? Also, will I need to manually go in and set their active service to cancelled?

thanks!

This would be helpful. I have a few final questions as well...

One of my customer's has a hosting package through me and has cancelled the subscription inside paypal. Now, what would be the best way for me to cancel her service? Login as her and submit a cancel request, then go into my active services and set that to cancel? Is that all that needs to be done?

Finally, say someone logs into their account and presses the cancel button, Does that also cancel their paypal subscription or must they do that manually? Also, will I need to manually go in and set their active service to cancelled?

thanks!

1) Our clients are responsible for cancelling their service with us. In our world, the cancellation of a PayPal Subscription doesn't necessarily mean they wish to cancel service. However, if in your business it does, then either click the "Terminate" button for their service as Admin (which will terminate immediately) or log in as the client and request cancellation. When cancellation is "requested" do not set the active service to "Cancelled" as it isn't yet (unless you manually cancel it).

2) PayPal Subscriptions must be cancelled manually. Again, in our world our clients are fully responsible for cancelling their own Paypal Subscriptions.

Ok, so we need to have the cancellation process do the following:

1) Client requests cancellation

2) system sets cancellation option chosen by client

3) if pending invoice, set to cancel

4) if past due date and client choses the End of Billing terminate after 24hrs

5) under "Pending Cancellation Requests" ad link to a cancellation request page where all cancellation request are listed.

Does this sound about right?

If this is implemented I think we will be happy with this and move on to the other options.

ModernMess Sucks.

4 is there? cool. Can you make that 72hrs?

I don't have 5, it shows only text in the main admin under

"Pending Cancellation Requests 1" no link.

I do have the "Cancelled Services: 2" but it does not list pending cancellations. I think the pending cancellations should be listed there with an option to undue in case a client doses this by accident.

What is 6 and 7? :)

are they for the domains?

Thank you Matt.

Matt,

Have you arranged for cancelled services not to reinvoice? (which I imagine was 6, what was 7)?

Could this be documented in the manual?

Cheers,

Brian

The system will not re-invoice if the package is set to "canceled", so this is covered on step 2.

What happens if a customer cancels mid plan? They'll have a pro-rated credit, right? How is that handled? Am I notified that I owe the customer money and have to manually refund it back to them? Or is it handled automatically by WHMCS?

What happens if a customer cancels mid plan? They'll have a pro-rated credit, right? How is that handled? Am I notified that I owe the customer money and have to manually refund it back to them? Or is it handled automatically by WHMCS?

Uh, maybe its just me, but you shouldnt be refunding them anything unless its within your x day refund policy.

So what do you do if a customer cancels 2 months into their 6 month plan and it's outside their "money back" period? Keep the rest of the money? :-s To me, honest business practice dictates when a customer requests an immediate cancellation during their plan, you owe them money back for services unused.

At least that's how any company I've ever dealt with does it (cellular company, cable, whatever) and how I feel comfortable conducting my business.

So what do you do if a customer cancels 2 months into their 6 month plan and it's outside their "money back" period? Keep the rest of the money? :-s To me, honest business practice dictates when a customer requests an immediate cancellation during their plan, you owe them money back for services unused.

At least that's how any company I've ever dealt with does it (cellular company, cable, whatever) and how I feel comfortable conducting my business.

If they pay for 6 months it's a 6 month contract. As for cell phones, if you sign up for a year you pay for the year or a termination fee + any discounts you were given and any other fees they can come up with. Just my opinion, but they should not receive refunds for unused services.