Authentication Questions

coffeezebra

Hello WHMCS Community. I have a WHMCS Server to handle billing, but I am now considering extending some of my offerings.  I am doing some due diligence research before I start throwing resources at this project. Please let me know if the following is possible, and easy with the WHMCS API.

I am creating a desktop software for Windows. I would like the customer to enter WHMCS credentials into the software every time they use it to authenticate with the WHMCS Server. Is this possible/easy?

After authentication, the software will need to sync changes to the license (upgrades/downgrades) and customer-specific configuration changes - the customer will have a webpanel within the WHMCS to make simple configuration changes that will affect their desktop client: example like open/close port #, sleep timers, etc - which I think can be done with a simple XML (or other) file.

Do I need to create a separate application server for all this, or can I piggyback off the WHMCS API for these simple authentication / configuration tasks?

Thank you all!

3 hours ago, coffeezebra said:

I am creating a desktop software for Windows. I would like the customer to enter WHMCS credentials into the software every time they use it to authenticate with the WHMCS Server. Is this possible/easy?

it's possible to validate client login details using this API function:

https://developers.whmcs.com/api-reference/validatelogin/

also check the OAuth documentation:

https://developers.whmcs.com/oauth/

4 hours ago, coffeezebra said:

Do I need to create a separate application server for all this, or can I piggyback off the WHMCS API for these simple authentication / configuration tasks?

if these configuration stored in product's config options, addons, or custom fields then it's possible to access all of these information from the API it self:

https://developers.whmcs.com/api-reference/getclientsproducts/

but if you need something more complicated or specific you could write your own API by creating Addon Module

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 2:37 AM, sentq said:

it's possible to validate client login details using this API function:

https://developers.whmcs.com/api-reference/validatelogin/

Except for the fact there was a game-breaking change with ValidateLogin sometime around 7.2-7.3 where ValidateLogin no longer creates sessions, AND the passwordHash that's return is apparently completely wrong and can't be used for setting $_SESSION['upw'].

3 hours ago, alturic said:

Except for the fact there was a game-breaking change with ValidateLogin sometime around 7.2-7.3 where ValidateLogin no longer creates sessions, AND the passwordHash that's return is apparently completely wrong and can't be used for setting $_SESSION['upw'].

does it work in v7.4.2?

Nope, we were in the process of upgrading from 7.1 to 7.4.2 and noticed the game-breaking change. There's a CORE issue for it, but of course there's no real communication on when another build will be. What's insane to me is how they won't even push out a hot-fix or give a workaround. dologin.php correctly set's sessions, hence they know what ValidateLogin needs to return for the passwordHash. Oh how I wish they still offered unencoded source purchase.

Edited by alturic

1 hour ago, alturic said:

Nope, we were in the process of upgrading from 7.1 to 7.4.2 and noticed the game-breaking change. There's a CORE issue for it, but of course there's no real communication on when another build will be. What's insane to me is how they won't even push out a hot-fix or give a workaround. dologin.php correctly set's sessions, hence they know what ValidateLogin needs to return for the passwordHash. Oh how I wish they still offered unencoded source purchase.

probably you need at least about 1k clients complainant for hot fix to be released I guess,

3 weeks ago I discovered 1 issue in v7.4.1, made tests in v6.3.1 and the issue exists since this version it's more than 2 years and no one face it!

so I've sent a bug report and hoped they will not tell me that it supposed to do that, because it shouldn't, well they confirmed the issue and hopefully they will release a fix in v7.5.0

4 minutes ago, sentq said:

probably you need at least about 1k clients complainant for hot fix to be released I guess,

with the first 500 being told that it isn't a bug; the next 350 being told that they're looking into it... and the final 150 informed that it's been assigned a CORE value and while the fix is imminent, they're unable to give an ETA. 9_9

8 minutes ago, sentq said:

3 weeks ago I discovered 1 issue in v7.4.1, made tests in v6.3.1 and the issue exists since this version it's more than 2 years and no one face it!

if only this was a unique occurrence... it could be a full-time bug for someone reporting the bugs.

7 minutes ago, sentq said:

hopefully they will release a fix in v7.5.0

which is scheduled some time before the end of March. waiting.gif