Please help me update my templates

rbro

I'm not good at this kind of thing, but I want to be able to do it myself and understand it and not have to hire a designer or programmer every time I upgrade WHMCS. When I had my site redesigned, I had the designer make some customizations to the whmcs templates which resides in /templates/main. The "updated" templates, since upgrading to 3.4.1 reside in /templates/default. So in order to be up to date, do I need to go through each .tpl file in my main directory and copy the headers and footers into the corresponding .tpl file in the default directory and then point the WHMCS config to default? What about style.css and invoicestyle.css. Can I just replace those? I appreciate someone helping to walk me through this a bit.......We're also integrating with Kayako to view and submit tickets, so I want to be sure not to break anything.

The best way to begin to understand the changes is to use a comparison tool. I personally use Beyond Compare. This tool allows you to compare entire folders (choose "main" as one, and "default" as the other) and highlight changes between versions. Using something like that, you should be able to spot what needs copying, and even use the tool to copy these changes from the new ones to your existing templates. Before you know it, you'll understand a bit more of how the templates work.

The CSS is unlikely to have changed, but you can use the above tool in the same way to check. Let me know if I can be of any help.

The best way to begin to understand the changes is to use a comparison tool. I personally use Beyond Compare. This tool allows you to compare entire folders (choose "main" as one, and "default" as the other) and highlight changes between versions. Using something like that, you should be able to spot what needs copying, and even use the tool to copy these changes from the new ones to your existing templates. Before you know it, you'll understand a bit more of how the templates work.

The CSS is unlikely to have changed, but you can use the above tool in the same way to check. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks! KNow anything similar for the Mac? I'll poke around and find something...... I appreciate your help. I'm gonna be dragged kicking and screaming into figuring this stuff out, I know it.....

OK, well I think I'm making it more difficult than it needs to be. I re-read Matt's email to me and he recommended just copying all the files from the default folder to my main (custom) folder except the header and footer files. I did that and it was closer, but still looked funky (bg colors wrong, some formatting off etc.), so I copied the CSS file as well and now I'm a bit closer. 2 things: I'm not seeing the affiliates link in the navigational links at the top and if I go to any of the "details" pages in the client area - hosting packages > view details or my details or my domains > view details I get these ugly rectangular grey submit buttons. Can you tell me how/where I would change those?

OK, well....I'll get to the buttons in a bit, but I'm making progress here.I'm having to edit the CSS file. So I've got the default CSS file in there and am gradually copying stuff from my custom one, but somehow I've now lost the link to the affiliates on the navbar in my client area. Any ideas?