Paypal - no subscription option at checkout

hazardpro

Hi all

We are trying to setup Paypal as a gateway in WHMCS.

Single payments and refunds are working ok.

But when we go to purchase a monthly/re-occuring product, there is no option to the end use to make a subscription payment - and no subscription is created, only a single payment is made.

The products are setup correctly as re-ocurring and the users Paypal account we are testing with has a card attached etc and is already being used for subscriptions, so we know the issue is not with the Paypal account used to pay for the test order.

Any help/advise very welcome!

H

are you passing the 3 conditions for the feature to work... ?

https://docs.whmcs.com/PayPal#PayPal_Subscriptions.2FRecurring_Billing

There are three conditions that must be met for the PayPal subscribe button to appear:

1. The invoice's Due Date must be in the future
  2. The invoice must contain at least 1 recurring product (ie. domains, billable items or addons on their own won't create subscriptions)
  3. The 'Force One Time Payments' option is UNticked on the payment gateway configuration page.

sounds like you're passing 2&3, but what about 1 ?

Can you clarify point 1 for me? The invoice due date - does this refer to the next 'reoccurring' payment?

Of course the first invoice is the day the customer actually places the order. The next due date is one month later (as it's a monthly paid product).

2&3 = yes

- - - Updated - - -

So for example

I order product 'a' which is £5.99 per month

I pay the first payment today of £5.99, the next due date would be 1 month from today. When I make the first payment it should setup a subscription payment so the customer is automatically billed each month moving forward.

That's how I understand/need it to work

H

Can you clarify point 1 for me? The invoice due date - does this refer to the next 'reoccurring' payment?

Of course the first invoice is the day the customer actually places the order. The next due date is one month later (as it's a monthly paid product).

as you say, it's usually the day of the invoice... I suspect it merely means you can't setup a subscription for an overdue invoice (which knowing how WHMCS operates makes sense).

i've just ran through a couple of demo orders in a v7.2.3 dev, and i'm seeing both (onetime/sub) PayPal buttons... if I check force subs, then I only see that one.

how you want it to work is how it should be working... though that doesn't particularly help you!

it might be worth opening a ticket with support and let them have a look - it's difficult to suggest solutions without seeing the site or knowing if there are addons in play..

Thanks for your reply ;)

so are these buttons supposed to appear on your website or appear on the PayPal payment page?

On my website/checkout there is just a checkbox to select PayPal as a payment option, then it directs you to the PayPal login page (I thought the subscription button appears on PayPal once you login?) - could you clarify please

take a look at the quick video below (ignore the error at the end as I intentionally entered incorrect API details)...

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

you'll see the two buttons shown on my WHMCS dev site and then the user is automatically forwarded to PayPal... for me, it's automatically redirecting to making it a subscription @ PayPal and i've got both checkboxes unticked.

unfortunately, I can't say why it's not working like that for you...

also, it's worth noting John's reply below if you wanted to give them the option of pressing a button...

https://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?34438-Customer-being-redirected-without-option-to-choose-Paypal-Checkout-or-Subscribe

or you could change the length of time before the auto redirection to PayPal (and other gateways) by editing forwardpage.tpl.

Hmm interesting.....

So I just did another test order, but this time purchasing a yearly hosting plan (setup as a 1 or 2 yearly paid product/service, with the 'Recurring' payment type 'checked'.

When I checked out I DID get the subscription option....

So i then did another test this time purchasing a monthly paid addon that ive been testing with (that is not giving me the subscription option) - this is setup as 'one time/monthly' payment with the 'Recurring' payment type 'checked'.

And I did NOT get the subscription option....

#confused.

H

Hey Brian - ok I have the answer in my instance.

I have setup my add on services (what I regard as add on services, eg SSL, Privacy, Site Builder, Exchange email etc etc.) as 'add-on' products.

However I have been informed that Paypal subscriptions are only for 'product/services' and will not work for 'add-ons' or 'domains'.

So it looks like its a case of mixed terminology and that I have incorrectly setup my add on services as 'add-ons' in WHMCS instead of a 'Product/Service'.

I hope that helps someone else.

H

Hey Brian - ok I have the answer in my instance.

I have setup my add on services (what I regard as add on services, eg SSL, Privacy, Site Builder, Exchange email etc etc.) as 'add-on' products.

However I have been informed that Paypal subscriptions are only for 'product/services' and will not work for 'add-ons' or 'domains'.

So it looks like its a case of mixed terminology and that I have incorrectly setup my add on services as 'add-ons' in WHMCS instead of a 'Product/Service'.

aahh I never thought to ask if they were addons as you mentioned products in the first post.. :)

anyway, thanks for reporting back with the update. :idea: