Can it be this difficult to upgrade?

meeven

Okay, I have tried about 15 times now, I think, but have failed to upgrade WHMCS. I am not exaggerating one bit. The only time it sort of worked, there were still some issues and Matt said I was missing some files. But, I couldn't set it right.

I upgrade a CMS like drupal fairly frequently, so I just can't get what's causing the problems. Here are the issues I have encountered:

1.) When I upload the new files, the folders are overwritten, but not the .php files. I can't set them to 777 because I am running phpsuexec where the highest permission is 755, but WHMCS then says the config file needs to be 777 and hasn't passed the test.

2.) I zapped the whole install after taking a backup of the db and uploaded 3.4.1. This time it proceeded fine like it would on a fresh install, but it insisted on creating the whole db afresh, so I had to delete all the stuff in the old db (I had a backup, right?) so that the new tables could be created. But, if I did this, I couldn't figure out how to bring the old data back.

I am totally exhausted doing this. Any suggestions?