EU VAT Add-On behaviour: doesn't update total amount on checkout

hi everyone,

there is just a tiny thing that bothers me:

when doing the EU VAT checkout, i am entering the VAT # on the checkout page where all the personal information is collected, but the total sum still includes the tax and it won't subtract the tax until i click "purchase now" button which then shows the preview of the order.

unfortunately, a typical customer who enters a VAT# in order to not pay the VAT won't hit "purchase now" as long as the total amount is including the tax.

i wanted to fix this in modules/addons/eu_vat but unfortunately all the code is ionCube encoded. so basically i'm not sure how i could fix that behaviour.

any suggestions?

p.s. i'm rather new to WHMCS but i've got several years of experience as a developer and i have to say, WHMCS is by far the best and most fun system to work with that i have seen. excellent work, guys!

• WHMCS Technical Analyst

Hi Franky,

Welcome to WHMCS, and thank you for your kind words. We appreciate it!

Our team is currently working on some improvements to the EU VAT support in the product and so I'll be sure to pass along your feedback regarding having the VAT update in real-time once a valid VAT # has been provided.

-Eddy

thank you very much!

just for completeness: i'm using the "six" template together with the "standard_cart".

And, here is a regex for validating the EU VAT # custom field. In case someone else is also searching for it:

/^((AT)?U[0-9]{8}|(BE)?0[0-9]{9}|(BG)?[0-9]{9,10}|(CY)?[0-9]{8}L|(CZ)?[0-9]{8,10}|(DE)?[0-9]{9}|(DK)?[0-9]{8}|(EE)?[0-9]{9}|(EL|GR)?[0-9]{9}|(ES)?[0-9A-Z][0-9]{7}[0-9A-Z]|(FI)?[0-9]{8}|(FR)?[0-9A-Z]{2}[0-9]{9}|(GB)?([0-9]{9}([0-9]{3})?|[A-Z]{2}[0-9]{3})|(HU)?[0-9]{8}|(IE)?[0-9]S[0-9]{5}L|(IT)?[0-9]{11}|(LT)?([0-9]{9}|[0-9]{12})|(LU)?[0-9]{8}|(LV)?[0-9]{11}|(MT)?[0-9]{8}|(NL)?[0-9]{9}B[0-9]{2}|(PL)?[0-9]{10}|(PT)?[0-9]{9}|(RO)?[0-9]{2,10}|(SE)?[0-9]{12}|(SI)?[0-9]{8}|(SK)?[0-9]{10})$/

I am going online tomorrow, for anyone who is also desperate and needs a quick workaround, here it is:

This will make it work. It's far from perfect, but it's the best i could come up without touching the encrypted PHP code from the WHMCS module:

in templates/orderforms/standard_cart replace:

{$LANG.ordertotalduetoday}:   <strong>{$total}</strong>

with

{$LANG.ordertotalduetoday}:   <strong>

<!-- VAT/UID Check: -->

{foreach $customfields as $customfield}

{if $customfield.name eq "UID"}

{if empty($customfield.value)}

{$total} (including {$taxrate}% {$taxname}

{else}

{if $errormessage|strstr:"UID" || $errormessage|strstr:"VAT"}

{$total} including {$taxrate}% {$taxname} (invalid VAT/UID specified!)

{else}

{$subtotal} (no taxes, valid VAT/UID specified!)

{/if}

{/if}

{if $errormessage|strstr:"UID"}

(including tax, invalid VAT/UID!)

{/if}

{/if}

{/foreach}

</strong>

So it will show the correct price including or excluding VAT once the form was submitted. To force update (without submitting the final order!) you can add a button to force VAT/UID validation, this is after {$customfield.input} (approx. line 227 in the same template as above):

{if $customfield.name eq "UID"}

<button type="submit" id="btnCompleteOrder" class="btn btn-primary btn-lg" onclick="document.getElementById('accepttos').checked=false;this.value='Bitte warten...'">

Check {$customfield.name}

</button>

{/if}

This is NOT a clean ant NOT good solution. It's just a "help yourself" improvement until the official solution is there.