Hosting your own ioncube files

Most servers have ioncube but many of them run outdated versions so its best to host your own. Now im not so sure how this post might apply to many of us because many of us who run whmcs don't do so on shared servers and we have our own ioncube installed on our vps or dedi server usually in /usr/local/ioncube. However i assume that it's possible that many developers may not use a vps or dedi and i thought i would post this here anyway in the hopes it might help someone along the way.

I have always hosted my own ioncube files. I download the loaders from the ioncube site and then create a ioncube folder in my public_html and then just let the server know i want to use those files instead of the default server files with this command in the php.ini file

zend_extension = /home/name/public_html/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.5.so

but this time it caused a fatal server error which it has never done before, so after a bit of fiddling i finally contacted my host. They updated my php to php 5.6 (from php 5.5) and the issue went away, they also wrapped my command in quotes like this

zend_extension = "/home/name/public_html/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.5.so"

which they say is correct but will work fine without the quotes. Now i don't remember ever seeing quotes before in the instructions but it's working so i guess i will let it be.

I just thought this might helps someone having issues, or help you to help your hosting customers.

Thanks

dave :)

Edited by durangod