Prevent entering card details on zero cart balance...

Chris74

I've recently come up against another one of WHMCS's rather frustrating flaws.

Since we switched to card processing instead of a gateway, if the customer gets to the checkout and for example, only has a .co.uk transfer in their cart (which carries no cost), they still have to enter a credit card, or otherwise choose to pay by cheque or bank transfer, which is a real point of confusion for them. If there is nothing to pay, why choose a payment method? Bizarre!

I am of the understanding that this issue is caused by the requirement in WHMCS to associate a payment method with every order - is this correct?

It seems the intended functionality is that the payment method chosen at checkout is stored with every product or domain. I don't really understand why, since this never seems to make any difference to anything and it can't be changed by the client later anyway. It just seems so stupid to do it this way. But sadly, that doesn't surprise me. So much of this product is completely illogical. I like WHMCS, but compared to almost every other "billing" system, the billing parts of this product are its main weakness.

I also don't like the fact that credits are automatically applied to invoices at checkout, whether the client wants that or not (and even if we have the auto credit option disabled in the invoice settings). They might want to keep their credits for something else and pay by a different method. That seems a pretty reasonable requirement to me. Why not simply have an option to add credit from the available credit balance at checkout and if they choose not to, don't add any credit at all?

To me these things are quite important, but they don't seem to be issues others are particularly bothered about, so I guess WHMCS don't have any plans to change this functionality.

I've looked in the app store and I've found no pre-made answer to these problems - but I'm pretty sure others will have found their own solutions.

I'd like to know if anyone here has a solution to the above two issues, or if there is anyone capable of making the relevant modifications for me. I'd be more than happy to pay a reasonable price for these changes.

I'm also looking for some modifications to the Serverping Stripe gateway, which I've found to be pretty good - but again is constrained by the limitations within WHMCS which I need to change.

If you can help I'd very much appreciate it.

Edited by Chris74
sp

Chris,

It seems the intended functionality is that the payment method chosen at checkout is stored with every product or domain. I don't really understand why, since this never seems to make any difference to anything and it can't be changed by the client later anyway. It just seems so stupid to do it this way. But sadly, that doesn't surprise me. So much of this product is completely illogical. I like WHMCS, but compared to almost every other "billing" system, the billing parts of this product are its main weakness.

hmm.. i'm wondering if you could use a hidden gateway when both total and recurring total are zero... in that instance, hide the normal gateways and cc, and just pass the details to the hidden dummy gateway (perhaps based on mailin) - that way, the client won't be asked for payment, and WHMCS will have a gateway assigned to the order.... you might be able to do that with purely a template edit to viewcart and/or checkout.

I also don't like the fact that credits are automatically applied to invoices at checkout, whether the client wants that or not (and even if we have the auto credit option disabled in the invoice settings). They might want to keep their credits for something else and pay by a different method. That seems a pretty reasonable requirement to me. Why not simply have an option to add credit from the available credit balance at checkout and if they choose not to, don't add any credit at all?

you might want to take a look at Billing Extension - I think this gives the client the option of adding credits to an invoice, but check with the author to be sure...

http://www.whmcs.com/appstore/3882/Billing-Extension.html

I'd like to know if anyone here has a solution to the above two issues, or if there is anyone capable of making the relevant modifications for me. I'd be more than happy to pay a reasonable price for these changes.

it might be worth sending a PM to Infopro to get this thread moved to Marketplace - developers would then be able to respond, whereas they can't in this current forum as it's not allowed.

I'm also looking for some modifications to the Serverping Stripe gateway, which I've found to be pretty good - but again is constrained by the limitations within WHMCS which I need to change.

I would've thought ServerPing would be the first port of call for that, but if he can't help, and the thread gets moved to Marketplace, then the usual suspects will likely reply offering their paid assistance! :)

Thanks Brian. I don't think a further payment method would need adding as long as one is actually selected. Forgive me, I don't know anything about code and I don't know any of the fields in WHMCS - but as a general example I think it would be a case of something like...

IF checkout total >0

Display the payment options as normal

ELSE

Don't display any payment options, but set the payment method to "cheque" in a hidden field.

That might be pretty easy to do for someone with a bit of knowledge of the templates.

I didn't know that there was a specific place here to ask for dev work, but I don't really come here very often. Might post something separate there.

Not sure that billing extension takes care of the credits problem but I'll take another look at it. I did contact serverping a couple of days ago but had no response so far.

Thanks for your input as always :-)

Edited by Chris74

Thanks Brian. I don't think a further payment method would need adding as long as one is actually selected. Forgive me, I don't know anything about code and I don't know any of the fields in WHMCS - but as a general example I think it would be a case of something like...

yeah, sortof... I would have thought of it the other way around... but you say potato, I say potarto :)

That might be pretty easy to do for someone with a bit of knowledge of the templates.

it really is... i've posted numerous threads here, containing example code, about hiding gateways based on certain conditions - it's just a case of working what to show/hide and when... after that, it's simply writing the {if} statement to do that...