What happened to paypal?

twhiting9275

Ok, something REALLY wrong happened with the 3.4 upgrade .

Paypal individuals are now seeing invoices if they've already got a subscription. Rather than NOT invoice individuals (which WHMCS has been doing fine for over a year now), WHMCS is now invoicing individuals!

Not only that but it would appear that the payments aren't being recorded properly. IPN should always be left blank, because WHMCS is NOT the only payment processing tool out there. So, now that WHMCS has taken over my "payment processing" for things it can't even deal with, how is the rest of my payment setup supposed to function? I'm supposed to disable paypal for every other option that I run because WHMCS wants full control here? Noooooooo.

Can we PLEASE have a reasonable paypal module put in and left in! Things were working perfectly before the 2.4 additions got played with. Now, everything is a mess, including notification of invoices, which those paying via subscription should never, ever see!

• WHMCS CEO

Hi Tom,

This was a new feature of V3.4. All PayPal payments are now invoiced for. It was mentioned in the new features and had full details in the release notes which you can see here: http://forums.whmcs.com/viewtopic.php?t=6867

I'm not sure what you are referring to about taking over payment processing - WHMCS is a billing system so that is what it does. Invoices are now made for every payment as has been requested many times for consistancy with other gateways.

Sorry if you weren't aware of it before upgrading but it was documented!

Matt

• WHMCS CEO
Hi Matt,

Based on this... does this affect the ability of avoiding creating an invoice when placing an order? http://www.whmcs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4583

You should use the proper supress invoice option rather than the gateway workaround that did work, but wasn't what it was designed for.

You can still select it, but you don't need to - there is now a "Don't generate invoice" tick box when you place the order from the admin area.

Matt

who cares if it was "documented", the fact is that you changed the way something works when it didn't need to be touched.

Did it work before? you bet it did, perfectly even.

Why change it? Because you wanted to. That's all, because you wanted to.

'm not sure what you are referring to about taking over payment processing - WHMCS is a billing system so that is what it does.

Yes, but can it do EVERYTHING? No

Can it license software and encode it properly? Of course not

Can it handle payments for other software? Of course not.

Is it the ONLY payment system out there ? NO!

Let's see, right now, what do I have:

phpaudit -- licensing

2 forum systems -- month to month payments

ALL of these operate perfectly without requiring an IPN url. Now, what happens when WHMCS takes that over? OOPS, they CAN'T operate without ME getting in there and handling transactions manually. With this "addition", you just made my life 5000 times HARDER, when you're supposed to be making it EASIER!

WHMCS is NOT the end all solution here. It can NOT handle everything and should NOT assume that it is!

• WHMCS CEO

Wow, I'm suprised at your reply.

who cares if it was "documented", the fact is that you changed the way something works when it didn't need to be touched.

Did it work before? you bet it did, perfectly even.

Why change it? Because you wanted to. That's all, because you wanted to.

No, it didn't work with all the features of WHMCS. And it was changed because the majority of users wanted it changed. Not because I wanted to!?!?!?

ALL of these operate perfectly without requiring an IPN url. Now, what happens when WHMCS takes that over? OOPS, they CAN'T operate!

What does IPN URL have to do with anything? WHMCS doesn't need an IPN URL set for subscriptions it's created.

Matt

And it was changed because the majority of users wanted it changed. Not because I wanted to!?!?!?

No, it was changed because you took out the "subscription" part of paypal. Why? Dunno, don't care. It WAS working just fine.

Regardless, you not knowing what IPN is/does, well, that's a dealbreaker there. I guess it's time to start shopping for a new billing client, cuz if you don't know THAT (or how your own client interacts with it), then wow, just wow!

Yes, you do process information from IPN, on every payment, or you should. This url should be passed to paypal in a way that is non threatening to the rest of the client's business, instead of trying to make yourself dominant and take it over.

Either way, my last reply to this one.

• WHMCS CEO
No, it was changed because you took out the "subscription" part of paypal. Why? Dunno, don't care. It WAS working just fine.

Subscriptions hasn't been taken out. They are there and work perfectly fine as always - in fact, even better than before with the ability to use credits, automatic tracking of overpayments, etc...

Yes, you do process information from IPN, on every payment, or you should. This url should be passed to paypal in a way that is non threatening to the rest of the client's business, instead of trying to make yourself dominant and take it over.

Which it is, so again, as I said in my last reply, I fail to see what the problem is. What has made you think that you have to have an IPN url set in your PayPal Profile I do not know. The Subscriptions module has always said to add the callback url but that is ONLY needed for those wanting to track subscriptions setup in other systems after switching. Leaving the IPN URL blank is what most do and it works fine.

Thread closed.