AutoRelease does not appear as a valid server type.

WindsorBoy

I have a number of small number of servers that are configured to use server type "autorelease". After upgrading to v6.0 the autorelease server type is missing from the list and I can no longer setup this type of server. I also cannot edit a server assigned to this server type because if I save it I am forced to assign one of the other server types which, of course, would not be correct.

Thankfully, however, Auto Release continues to appear as a valid module name under the "Module Settings" tab of products so this problem appears to be isolated to the "Setup / Product/Services / Servers" "Add New Server" or "edit" server web page.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We ran into this as well. We have been using autorelease in the product to initiate actions through auto-ticket creation. We also tie our products to servers so that we can mass mail based on a server type. Now that autorelease is not an option in the servers, we can't tie our products to a server. This has created a real problem for us.

Autorelease is not an option in the server config. Server types start with "Castcontrol" in alpha order. Autorelease is only available in the product config. I could use one of the other server options and then link the servers and products, but I need to use autorelease for its functionality.

server.PNG

According to a response from WHMCS support, products/services with 'autorelease' as a module setting cannot be linked to a server...

"As a module with no external communication, no servers need ever be created assigned to the AutoRelease module as they would serve no purpose. Only products should be assigned to this module. It is because of this their removal from the Server configuration page was made.

If your business operations necessitate services being assigned to a service, I recommend creating a provisioning module of your own: http://docs.whmcs.com/Provisioning_Module_Developer_Docs "

• 2 weeks later...
You are right @tsiedsma.

The missing thing at the new version is being able to create a server with the Autorelease module, so we can group this services under a specific server.

I still can't understand why that would be a desirable configuration anyways. There's a reason WHMCS removed that module from the Server config...

I still can't understand why that would be a desirable configuration anyways. There's a reason WHMCS removed that module from the Server config...

I guess it depends on your perspective. In my case, its removal has created a great deal of work for me. I believe I explained in my earlier post but allow me further explain how we used autorelease:

1. to initiate actions through auto-ticket creation

2. products (services) were linked to servers so that we could mass mail based on a server

3. products were linked to servers so that we could audit the services on each server

4. provided a quick view of the number of services on a server.

Obviously this setup is a precursor to automation... we aren't quite there yet. It was a very unfortunate programming change for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed Autorelease was useful to understand where the service is located if you are not using any kind of automation.

For example, if you sell dedicated servers from different providers, autorelease would allow us to group providers and be alerted via ticket once any server needs to be suspended or terminated.

• 6 months later...

We use the Auto release server type for pretty much ALL items. That's because we have created a report that calculates COGS (Cost Of Goods Sold). So we're linking each product to a server via the "Auto release" module. Now our report does't work any longer as soon as we edit a server (or creating a new one) because we can't save it as Auto release.

The work around is to switch all modules for all items and all servers to use the server type "Freeradius".

Thanks WHMCS!

We use the ticket creation functionality of AutoRelease in our products which were then linked to the servers for reporting purposes as well. The other modules don't have the ticket creation functionality that we need. I believe I looked at every single module for this option. If someone sees something that I did not, I would love to hear about it.