IDN domains support

box

WHMCS has an option to support IDN domains but it's limited to domain check.

It doesn't work for domain registration. So basically one can say that WHMCS doesn't support IDN domains.

If WHMCS supports IDN domain lookup (it converts correctly to punnycode during domain check) why not pass the punnycode also to the domain registrar when registering?

Currently customers can add IDN domains to the cart, pay for them but then you have to manually register them at the registrar but customer can't manage them afterwards in WHMCS, so it's useless.

It's just a line of code in the registrar modules to convert to punnycode before submiting the domain (if IDN support is enabled in admin area), I don't think this is a hard task.

If domain is not IDN than the UTF-8 to punnycode will not have any side effects so it would be safe to convert all calls to registrar module to punnycode when IDN support is enabled.

• 5 years later...

It seems you might be correct and currently WHMCS does not support IDN. If you cannot renew or register domains, what is the point...😁

The reason I state this is the following documentation there:

https://docs.whmcs.com/International_Domain_Names

WHMCS 8.0 and later include full support for IDN domain registration and transfers...

Since version 8 is not released yet, this means it's not currently supported. And once they do launch eight, please read that link, as its only limited to specific registrars. I don't think its fully supported if you use something else or a custom module, but you might check on the Beta releases how this is working so far.

I suspect this will also be very buggy on launch so if this is critical for you, please test the Beta releases as WHMCS tends to launch new versions without testing them enough. The more testing and feedback they receive, the better.