Need Mod to allow sub domain sign ups

Avicne

Hi-

We need a mod/customization that will allow users to sign up using a sub domain they will point at our server (e.g. app.domain.com, where domain.com is hosted elsewhere).

Currently, if you enter the format (sub.domain.com) into "I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers" it throws an error.

We would like a mod that would either permit this or create an addition domain option "I will point a sub domain at your server"

Thanks.

Hi,

I don't think asking the same question twice in two hours will get it answered any quicker - probably the opposite! icon_nono.GIF

- Removed -

We need a mod/customization that will allow users to sign up using a sub domain they will point at our server (e.g. app.domain.com, where domain.com is hosted elsewhere).

Currently, if you enter the format (sub.domain.com) into "I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers" it throws an error.

We would like a mod that would either permit this or create an addition domain option "I will point a sub domain at your server

there is a built-in subdomain option (http://docs.whmcs.com/Products_and_Services#Other), but you can't use that for this as you want it to apply to unspecified domains (e.g., not ones that you can specify subdomain options for in the product).

if you had wanted to replace the owned domain option and automatically assume they wanted to use a subdomain instead, you could replace the 'www.' text with 'sub.' - but this second amended question implies the user can choose their own subdomain (app/sub/whatever), so that would rule this out.

probably the easiest way to do this, with no modification required, would be to use the existing domain option as it is - so they would enter 'domain.com' (which would be valid) - and then use a Product Custom Field to allow them to specify their choice of subdomain (if left blank, assume www).

http://docs.whmcs.com/Custom_Fields#Product_Custom_Fields

you might then need to tweak the on-screen text to tell them they can specify the subdomain at a later stage in the ordering process... and possibly the email templates to use the custom field... but this is the type of task that PCF are useful for.

also, I doubt that you could tweak the existing owned domain option to allow for subdomains as it's probably hard-coded to check for punctuation in the input.

visually, it would be simple to add another domain option, but getting the variables passed through the ordering process would be trickier - off the top of my head, I can't recall any forum posts of anyone doing that.

therefore, I would advise going down the custom field route - but if you want to pay someone to write a solution, you could post a request in Marketplace.

Edited by Infopro
Duplicate Thread Removed

I did post it in the Marketplace.

You removed it and wagged a finger at me for posting twice (and then suggested I post it in the Marketplace?!).

Can I post it in the Marketplace again or are you going to remove it again and advise me not to post twice?