Upgrade to product with configurable options - no option choice

pat_ads

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I requested help with an upgrade of a free product to a paid one. The paid one had an addon which I could not get to be offered at the time of upgrade. After working on this I decided that I should be using a configurable option instead of an addon, which solves my pro-rated billing problems too.

BUT, when the client who has the free product clicks upgrade, they are offered the paid product only. Selecting that product moves them to the cart with no opportunity to add the configurable option.

I've been given the suggestion to create 2 paid products, and that would work but it would be a clunky solution that would mean clients with the (essentially) same product would have 1 of 2 "versions" - sometimes mixed as they can order more than 1 and will likely do so over time.

What I'm looking for is => Upgrade Product => select configurable option => go to cart.

Anyone care to assist me on this? Thanks in advance...

have you got the "Configurable Options" checkbox ticked in products/services -> product ->edit ->upgrades ??

With the configurable options upgrade configuration, this allows your clients to upgrade or downgrade the configurable option selections you offer on the product. You do not need to specify any further configuration for this - by simply ticking the box the upgrade options will be shown to the client in the client area. The upgrade price for configurable options are calculated in exactly the same was products described above.

http://docs.whmcs.com/Automated_Upgrades_and_Downgrades#Configurable_Options_Upgrades

Hi brian!

Yes, all is set up properly and your solution does work - in a fashion. What you suggest requires the customer to:

1) Upgrade the free product to the paid one, and then

2) return to the upgrade configurable options page and upgrade that as well.

What I'm trying to do is avoid that second step and allow for the addition of the configurable option at the time of upgrade. Otherwise most clients will not be made aware of the option and/or will have to make a second purchase for the option.

after I posted, it occurred to me that it might be two steps from a free upgrade...

i'd be tempted to return to the idea of two products, let's call them "Full" and "Upgrade Config".

Full would just be as it the upgrade is now.

Upgrade Config would be the same as Full, but make it hidden (so not available through order form, but only via upgrade), give it one config option (which I think would be added automatically).

hmm, maybe because there is only one config option (I assume), it is bypassing that page when upgrading... if you changed your config option to maybe a radio toggle (i.e 1 option with 2 answers - Include Addon? Yes / No), perhaps that might get WHMCS to go to the config page on upgrade... if so, you can forget the idea of needing two products!

I tried your suggestion - and thanks for your help on this.

No matter how many config options I give the full product, the upgrade does not list them. I suspect that the system isn't capable at this time, since if you try an upgrade from admin the box that appears doesn't have room for the config options. I will open a support ticket to get a definite answer from WHMCS staff.

I also tried the two product option but I think I'm missing your point. FULL and CONFIG OPTION products are identical, except that CONFIG OPTION is hidden. I don't see how to make the option "forced" - it remains an option and as such is not available when upgrading. If you mean change the price to include the option, that leads me to the problem below:

I really can't have two of the same product out there. First, it means that my software needs to track two of the same item - each with a different productid. If a client upgraded to the second, hidden one it would be the ONLY time they could. Since this is software licensed on a per pc basis, the likelihood of them ordering more is high. So if they ordered two more, they would get 1 that says FULL plus OPTION and 2 with FULL with no option. I think it would confuse them (it does for me). Since the option has to do with phone support availability - a quick glance at their product list would lead them to believe only one of their licenses had that support option, a real mess.

Unless you have any more insight, I think I should just let them upgrade and when I send the confirmation email I will remind them to go and upgrade their config option if they want to. For 1 off sales I will take a hit on the option as the click through for that will likely be low. On direct orders (no upgrade) I should see better results.

If I'm right, the email template link direct to the upgrade page should be:

upgrade.php?type=configoptions&id={$service_id}

Thanks again - I appreciate the effort

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the response I got from WHMCS support ticket:

Thank you for contacting WHMCS Support!

Once the product is upgraded, the client can then add the configurable option via Services >> My Services >> View Details >> Management Actions >> Upgrade Options.

Since the configurable option is only set for the new product, it will not be available when doing the initial upgrade.

However we welcome suggestions for new features on our feature request system: http://requests.whmcs.com

Feel free to search existing feature requests, vote, comment and submit your ideas.

In the meantime, you may find this is something a member of our community has already developed, so it would be worth browsing our app store: http://www.whmcs.com/appstore

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...