Letter from Google saying WHMCS doesn't comply

webresellers

• WHMCS CEO
Matt,

After seeing the dev site has a PayPal Website Payments Pro feature marked as implemented, I went looking through the requirements....

Apparently, PayPal and Google have very similar requirements for processing. For PayPal you have to offer PayPal Express payments. When you implement Express payments you redirect the buyer to PayPal *before* getting any user information, then use the information returned by PayPal as you proceed.

It's much the same as Google.

Perhaps if you change Google Checkout to have a similar flow to PayPal Express the issue with Google can be resolved.

Hi Brian,

A bit off topic but that's not right according to the support tech's at PayPal. The question was put as follows:

I am under the impression that when implementing PayPal Website Payments Pro we would have to also set up the api for express checkout as well. Can you please confirm that it is possible to process website payments pro API and not bother with setting it up to also have the capability for express checkout. On the PayPal website it states:

"Need a custom integration?

If you don't use one of our pre-integrated carts, you'll need a

professional web developer to integrate your website with the two required PayPal APIs:

1. The Direct Credit Card processing API that allows customers to

checkout with credit cards directly on your site.

2. The Express Checkout API, which lets PayPal customers check out fast.

And when they check out fast, they'll come back and buy more. Plus, Express Checkout helps you increase sales by an average of 14%* and get more

customers."

Thank you,

And the response was the following.

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

Yes, you do not have to implement Express Checkout.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Keith

PayPal Resolution Services

PayPal, an eBay Company

In response to Neil, that's a really messy way of doing it. I would prefer to be able to talk this over with someone from Google before taking any steps possibly incorrect.

Matt

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Matt -- At least you have written confirmation. So you know I'm not crazy here's the link to their Integration guide: https://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-485-20070919-1/en_US/pdf/PP_WebsitePaymentsPro_IntegrationGuide.pdf

The relevant parts are on pages 16-18:

On Page 16:

IMPORTANT: Direct Payment API is not a standalone product. You are required to use Direct Payment API and Express Checkout together as part of the Website Payments Pro solution.

Starting at the bottom of 17 into 18 gets some more specifics....

But back to on-topic. (I'd go to the other thread, but it's locked)

I would think Google would want the business and since they are contacting people regarding the use of their program via programs such as this, that they would offer solutions or a way for vendors to contact them. I would like to offer Google checkout but have removed the option until it's resolved. Hopefully they will offer solutions or a way for Matt to contact them.

My site is not up and ready quite yet but I will take down the Google Checkout option just the same. I added it there for my clients convienence but sounds like to much trouble for me to worry about. And who can afford to have funds in limbo anyway?

Baja

• 4 months later...

Ah, I know this thread is old, but I had my Google Checkount account frozen on me, and I'm no longer able to use it anymore because I didn't abide by their policies and ToS.

I'm waiting on why, but I have a feeling it's because of the original email I received some odd months ago about it not adhering to button placement. :(

Well, I think frozen was the wrong word; More like closed indefinitely. They also assured me that all of my funds had been transfered, and that I didn't need to worry about it. Which is true, I haven't had a Google Transaction in a few weeks, and the last of my transaction had already been deposited.

Essentially leaving me without ANY access to previous transactions, etc. Still waiting for a reply though. /sighs

im very VERY leary of paypal for this same frozen funds problem. i hate paypal because they freeze your funds for no reason, and when you try to get info they tell you to look for an email, but no email ever shows up.

sounds like google is starting to drift the way of paypal.. shame.. guess ill go back to requiring certified funds :(

With Google's history of how they handle adsense accounts by terminating with no mitigation, I would be careful using them. They don't seem to care whether there may be a legit argument to keep an account open. If they think you are in the wrong, Goodbye!

A bit off topic here, but.... I have not had any experiences with Google checkout yet, but what seems to be a common theme in this thread regarding Paypal really surprises me.

I have been a Paypal customer for several years, and have had very few problems with them. When there was issues with my account, Paypal actually CALLED ME... No email, no suspending of funds, nothing... They simply called me and straightened the issues up within a few minutes.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones, but I can't belive the negativity that the group has toward Paypal.

I have been a Paypal customer for several years, and have had very few problems with them. When there was issues with my account, Paypal actually CALLED ME... No email, no suspending of funds, nothing... They simply called me and straightened the issues up within a few minutes.

Same here. Never had an issue with Paypal and I have been using them for 4+ years.

From,

Adam

It was because of these draconian policies that we decided not to use Google checkout. :)

Ditto - signed up to have a play and then saw that they want to essentially control your relationship with your client. Pointless and unrealistic.

Exactly. Follow their TOS and you won't have any issues. They don't just randomly suspend accounts without a reason.

even if you do follow their TOS, accounts still get frozen. case in point, three years ago, i was doing some business with folks on paypal.

id transfer money from bank account to paypal, make purchase, account goes back to zero.

money comes into paypal, i immed. transfer it out to bank account. they frooze my account saying that it appeared strange that money was coming and going so quickly in my account.

account was frooze permantly, and they never did unfreeze it. finally after nearly sueing them and screaming at the top of my lungs, they allowed me to open a new account.

lost 250$ in the account that was froozen.

nothing in their TOS states i cant move money in and out of the account as i see fit. but the account still got froozen.

James

We have also had this message from google, not dkhosting but another company that uses whmcs with google, we emailed back etc and they keep saying what everyone else has been told. So we just left it, they haven't locked the funds and they haven't emailed us back.

Is there not a way you can grap the details entered in googlecheckout and put it back into WHMCS?

They are impossible to get any information to resolve any issue. They are worse than paypal. I used them for 2 weeks, I would recieve payments from customers, ship out the product and the money would never go to my bank, I did 3 transactions like that. Then instead of placing in my account, they refunded my clients! Locked my account and that was it. $2300 dollarsn worth of sales and merchandise gone. 2 of th 3 customers called and asked why I refunded their money, I said, "I didn't and they mailed me a money order." It was embarrassing, humiliating experience.

Do not use them.