Letter from Google saying WHMCS doesn't comply

webresellers

Hmmm... *maybe* leave the Google Checkout option as it is for recurring invoices but make it invisible on the order form (technically, the only "click" after a customer views an invoice would actually bring him/her straight to Google Checkout.. and it doesn't show in any open areas for the Google gods to nit-pick about :wink: ), but add a bit of code to the bottom of step #3 (said #4 above; meant #3), so that the initial order and calculated total can be passed onto Google for processing.

After checkout, you'd have to setup the customer's account and gather whatever information you need, but, once in, you'd not have to deal with it on a recurring basis.

I'd pretty much kill to get my hands on that bit of code right now... but it's not really my "thing" so I'm hoping that someone else might come up with it.

LOL.. Google Checkout was one of WHMCS' big selling points for us.. but, funny enough, I'm not nearly as annoyed about this as you'd expect! Wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that, unlike the billing solution we fled from, it's not actually WHMCS' fault!

Neil

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WHMCS CEO

I had been aware of the requirements they have but I thought it couldn't be right that you aren't allowed to take any details from the customer! I guess it all comes down to Google wanting to be aware of everything - they want to know what's being ordered, by who, and for how much so they require you to send everything to their system for checkout to be done there. This does raise a big problem with automating orders as a number of you have commented above. If someone can let me know the contact email for them (can't find anything on their site) I'll try and find out what the options are.

<att

This is straight from the help section.

Are there usage policies for Google Checkout buttons?

Yes. When you display Google Checkout buttons on your website, you must follow specific usage policies, which include the following:

Use standard Google-hosted buttons only.

Display a Google Checkout button immediately beside, above or below every existing checkout button or link on your website.

Place Checkout buttons before any regi tration or sign-in pages.

Ensure that buyers who click the Google Checkout button on your site see the Google Checkout confirmation page within one second and without seeing any intermediate pages.

Do not disable the browser's 'Back' button.

Identify unsupported purchases.

Provide Google Checkout as a checkout option at least 95% of the time.

Direct your 'checkout' links and buttons to the checkout process.

Provide additional button messaging as needed.

All you need is the google checkout button around the click to continue, I spoke to them directly by email. If the button exists you have to link it directly to their gif files on their website using the google checkout secure button generator which ponts to your own mercharnt id but is not a clickable button. thus allowing you to use the existin whmcs order process and stay within the full confines of the rules and regulations of the google checkout process...

To get this button URL go to :

code.google.com/apis/checkout/developer/checkout_button_url_generator.html#generate_button_url

and put in your merchant number and click create on whatever button you want.

I hope this stops any confusion about the checkout process and it means that no-one should have this problem anymore,

Hmmm.. doesn't sound right (but might be).

Those are the policies for the use and display of the buttons, but not actually for acceptance and processing of payment/checkout. Has been a while since I read the full T&C's, but between the policies we've read and the issues and information we've run into elsewhere (including threads just like this one in other places), it's been pounded into us that we are simply at no time allowed to collect any data from a customer who is paying via Google Checkout, and that they are to enter it only at Google.

But, this might be wrong. Or just half right. Maybe just offering customers the option to bypass (and hoping that they won't) is enough.

One question I have about what you've mentioned above is; how are we supposed to "Ensure that buyers who click on the Google Checkout button see the Google Checkout confirmation page within one second without seeing any intermediate pages" without making the button clickable?

I'm not saying that you're wrong. In fact, I'm hoping that you're very, very correct. But I fear that the Google rep with whom you communicated might have actually miscommunicated with you.

Neil

Also don't forget the Google button is meant to replace or be along side your "Checkout" button -- if you only allow users to checkout through their 'cart' (like WHMCS) you don't have to put the button on the item page.

Either way this is still something that needs to be clarified from Google & Matt once they get to the bottom of it.

• WHMCS CEO

I too have emailed Google but with no response yet. I wouldn't let it worry you or hold up your site launch - chances of them checking your site are minimal considering it's been like this since the release 5/6 months ago and this is the first report of an issue. And they aren't holding any funds because of it, just requesting it to be changed.

Matt

Yes, and Google is usually quite slow to get back with you. To be such a large company, they want to hide ways of getting in touch with them and act like a small unorganized group when finally getting back in touch. It was 3 plus days for any communications I have had with them. It could take weeks or more to work out an issue such as this :(

And they aren't holding any funds because of it, just requesting it to be changed.

Matt

See, I automatically assumed that they might try pulling a PayPal.

Good to know that this has not been happening, and I will not worry about it then.

Not that we don't accept better payment options, but that ugly button makes a significant difference for us.

Thanks, Neil

I too have emailed Google but with no response yet. I wouldn't let it worry you or hold up your site launch - chances of them checking your site are minimal considering it's been like this since the release 5/6 months ago and this is the first report of an issue. And they aren't holding any funds because of it, just requesting it to be changed.

Matt

On the first page of this thread "webresellers" reported they *are* holding their funds because of this.

You may need to go over the setup process again as they don't transfer funds if you don't follow certain steps. We knew someone that gave us a heads up when we opened an account as they weren't receiving transfers at first either. If you can't find the answer, I will go back through and look.

Or have they told you they are withholding funds?

Matt,

After seeing the dev site has a PayPal Website Payments Pro feature marked as implemented, I went looking through the requirements....

Apparently, PayPal and Google have very similar requirements for processing. For PayPal you have to offer PayPal Express payments. When you implement Express payments you redirect the buyer to PayPal *before* getting any user information, then use the information returned by PayPal as you proceed.

It's much the same as Google.

Perhaps if you change Google Checkout to have a similar flow to PayPal Express the issue with Google can be resolved.

If anyone has the ability to do this.. and, Matt, even if it has to be a custom job I'll be happy to have it done however I must.. but I would be happy to just be able to pass our order details onto Google from step #3 without the automation for now. I am thinking that, as long as we meet their requirements on the front end, allowing our customers to pay the recurring via the invoice link would be fine. I'm OK with setting up new accounts manually for now. Might not be a perfect solution, but it is an acceptable one.

If I could just add this below the "click to continue" button on step #3..

- Or Pay Via -

Google Checkout Button

..and remove the existing Google checkout option from appearing on this page only... I'd be very, very happy.

But this type of coding is most certainly not my thing. I understand the general concept, but really don't have the skills to easily implement it... nor do I have the time stumble around until I get it right. I really just need something to copy and paste into the right places. ;-)

Anyone? Matt?

Thanks, Neil