misleading domain transfer info

reds

What do you think?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• It's misleading
    • It's not misleading, leave it as it is

When transferring a domain I pop in example.com.

Domain Name Status More Info

example.com Available! Order Now

example.net Available! Order Now

Shouldn't it only show just the domain you've entered when you want to transfer rather than the misleading message about others being available?

It's not misleading - the others shown are also available for transfer if the client owns them.

It gives them the impression they can transfer them too even if they dont own them - we've had a couple of people already try it !

Could you make the "additional tlds to show/check" allow separate lists for regsiter and transfer ?

And you can't transfer a domain for "years" its just a transfer - so the settng of prices for different period and the drop down on the transfer order is unnecessary :D

I agree - on transfers this just confuses people - and sowing transfers for 'n' years has already caued one client to ring up and ask us what to enter !

How about adding something like this onto the form:

"As you're [registering/transferring] this domain, we thought you might like to see the following related domains, which are all available for transfer if you own them:"

:)

Edit: Oopsie, even I misunderstood it....fixed ;)

you can txfr for more than 1 year.

Nope.

You can transfer. end of.

With *some* domain extensions a transfer also forces you to renew the domain for a year or two (.cnobi's) - a (relatively) recent concept that came in when netsol lost the sole registrar control of com/net/org as a way of generating extra revenues because every "change" to the central registrygets the $0.10 or whatever the fee now is.

There may be *regsitrars* who give you a facility to also renew it for additional years at the same time, but thats an upselling feature of their sales-system, not of the domain registrar service itself.

When you look at the workings of the registrar systems you find that, you can do very little ...

- taking .com as an example

register - which is a 1 year *only* thing

transfer (pull)- which also forces a 1 year renewal

renew - which you can do anytime that the final expiry is <10years foward, which adds a year to the final expiry

So a "registration" for 10 years as its "sold" by Directi, is actually a register and 9 renewals.

-taking .uk as an example

register - which is a 2 year *only* thing

renew - which you can do anytime that the final expiry is <180 days forward, which adds 2 years to the final expiry.

release (push) - send to another tag

recieve - which accepts the domain onto your tag

And a registration of ,uk for 10 years as some poeple are selling is, well basically a con/gamble that they stay in business and renew the domain every 2 years, because it cant be registered for 10 years. ...

I actually just edited my templates a little more in hopes that it would clear this up for users that wanted to transfer their domain to my company.

It is a little confusing, and actually confused me until I ran a fake order through to test it out. A client thought that they were ordering a new one, and didn't realize it to be honest..

I think maybe if the transfer domain can have it's own table/box rather than sharing it with the regular domain box... Because when I changed the title where "Status" is at (the same line that {$LANG.domainname} is on) it also reflects for a non-transfer domain.

I thought maybe "Transfer Status" would've been a bit more helpful for some clients.

*shrugs*

maybe im just out of my mind, but u use enom, i use enom, and enom has the option of transferring for X number of years even on teir very own site. so however you word it, your customers can choose x number of years if you use enom and its transferred and registered for that many number of years. you can even see it in the whois of domains thats its registered for multiple years.

are you trying to say that enom only registers it for one year and then renews it every year behind the scenes.

it shold be an easy if/else statement to only show the one domain for a transfer,,..good feature request.

maybe im just out of my mind, but u use enom, i use enom, and enom has the option of transferring for X number of years

We've been an enom ETP since they started, although only use them for com/net/biz and now mobi

eNom charge you for .uk transfers, yet as Nominet members we know that there is no underlying fee from the registry, neither is there the requirement to renew the domain on transfer for .uk's

what an individual domain seller choses as their policy isnt necessarily related to how who they buy from or the registry works.

We also use a total of 19 registrars and registries, and have even looked at the underlying specs of a number of registration systems.

perhaps if the domain pricing input was laid out at

tld / action 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

register

renew

tranfer

and you could use -1 to mean not available, then it would cover everyones needs ...

.com [] inc. in suggestions []inc. in spins [] allow order without package () email fwding price () web fwding price

register 8 16 24 32 40 48 56 64 72 80

renew 8 16 24 32 40 48 56 64 72 80

transfer 8 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

.ws [] inc. in suggestions []inc. in spins [] allow order without package () email fwding price () web fwding price

register 10 15 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

renew 10 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

transfer -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

.co.uk [] inc. in suggestions []inc. in spins [] allow order without package () email fwding price () web fwding price

register -1 20 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

renew -1 20 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

transfer 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

as an example ;)