Nominet Help

CSNM-Carl

Please can someone guide me through the Nominet module setup?

What exactly do we need to do on the server?

I've generated a new key on the server using GnuPG, tried to import it into our online services account at Nominet and it says the key does not match our tag.

I've already got 2 keys registered and working with other systems that work fine.

Help please!

:)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html

A not-exactly-how-to .....

1. install gpg:

yum -y install gpg gnupg

2. upload your public and secret keyrings to the users gpg directory

(usually /.gnupg/)

If you're used to using pgp from your desktop then its just a case of copying the pubring and secring pkr files and renaming them to .gpg

3. set the various gpg config options

personally I enable verbose, and as we have a lot of keys, specify which to use as default

4. test it - this *will* tell you where any problems are

- create a text file in /whmcs/modules/registrars/nominet/tmp called nominettest.txt

with the content...

operation:list

month:all

- from your ssh prompt at the whmcs user type

echo {passphrase} | gpg --no-tty --passphrase-fd 0 --clearsign ./tmp/nominettest.txt

this will produce you a nominettest.txt.asc file which will look *something* like ...

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

operation:list
month:all

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iQCVAwUBRtF5LPERzWw/ilcHAQIDlAQAhYt6+0XYwHyrEYfOo+a+kYaSr4YAAyZe
6wc9GG94ng91cpiDinu68wRVebgeGlp680jpZER7iNGeuBoX60yw1U9PwYGkRA9t
0M2fe5TszUg2yxLTTjw6+3EAKpsW+GvdcSEPunkQFzKT1qSEZZHxSfGDAXDc6Ou+
7aaPxI4tbDI=
=iLjd
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

- email that

file to auto-co@nominet.org.uk and see what they say about it

5. add the right options to the module setup in WHMCS and Job done :)

I've changed the "test email" box to my own email address to see what WHMCS is sending - the email was blank, nothing in it at all.

Then the command line is failing gpg signing is failing, check your error logs, check the permissions on the ./nominet/tmp folder, check the keyring is accessible for the user running the php

Ok, its clear a couple more "tweaks" will be needed to the nominet module to make life a little simpler.

the first will be to include the .txt *unsigned* automaton email if for some reason the signing fails, so at least you do get an email (and a meaningful answer from nominet with the necessary data to manually sign) - will ask Matt to add a check when reading the .asc if file not exist or length < 64 chars then include the .txt in the message

the 2nd looks ike a generic issue with people not running suexec/phpsuexec where the whmcs scripsare running as "nobody" and therefore cannot access the gpg keyrings - not sure yet what to do about that, as it makes sense to me that scripst shoudl run as the owner not some generic "fallback" user ...