Testing OpenSRS (using the WHMCS built-in module)

epretorious

The WHMCS doc "OpenSRS" describes Test Mode this way:

Test Mode

WHMCS can be configured for testing purposes by ticking the “Test Mode” when configuring OpenSRS as the registrar. This will point all domain related requests to the test environment provided to you by OpenSRS.

...but then fails to provide any useful guidance about how to actually test OpenSRS.

• I've configured the built-in module with my reseller account informatin (i.e., username + private key);
  • I've downloaded+installed the third party classes to the /modules/registrars/opensrs/ directory (as detailed in the section "Additional Registrar Module Files Requirement" of WHMCS doc "OpenSRS";
  • I've configured the TLD's that I plan to offer and the prices for each into WHMCS, and;
  • I've added my server's IP addresses to the Script/API Access in my account profile.

What's next? How can I test my OpenSRS account settings?

Edited by epretorious

from the OpenSRS / WHMCS document @ http://www.opensrs.com/docs/Integrating%20WHMCS%20with%20OpenSRS.pdf

WHMCS in Test Mode

To configure WHMCS for testing, choose Test Mode in step 2 above when you are configuring OpenSRS as the registrar. This will point all domain related requests to the OpenSRS test environment. In the test environment, you do not need to configure your reseller account with the IP addresses that are used by WHMCS.

you can log into the test environment by going to http://www.opensrs.com/manage and selecting Test Environment - use your existing OpenSRS username and password.

i'm still setting up WHMCS and just realised that I never tried it in test mode, but have tried it live and it modifies and registers domains fine.

How can I test my OpenSRS account settings?
you can log into the test environment by going to http://www.opensrs.com/manage and selecting Test Environment - use your existing OpenSRS username and password.

Thanks, Brian: But I'm not trying to test the OpenSRS Reseller Web Interface (RWI). I'm trying to test OpenSRS usinig the WHMCS built-in module.

What I meant, specifically, is:

• What process should I follow to determine if the OpenSRS built-in module is functioning correctly? e.g., Should I go through the process of actually purchasing a domain through my WHMCS panel?
  • What will a good result look like? e.g., Should a successful transaction appear in the OpenSRS test environment as "Pending"? Or will a successful transaction appear in the WHMCS order pane as "Complete+Pending"?
  • What will a bad result look like? e.g., Will WHMCS issue a warning that the registration completely failed?

Edited by epretorious

Hi,

I appreciate that you were asking about the module, but my point about the RWI was that at some point you will have to log into it (both test & live), as the WHMCS module doesn't do everything.

let me give you an example of the first live domain registration we made through our WHMCS for a client...

we attempted to register an .eu domain for them on the live opensrs server, but WHMCS came back with an error, shown in the log as...

Domain Registration Failed - Domain ID: 1442 - Domain: domain.eu - Error: Invalid data - tech phone is incorrect (has to be in a +1.4165551122x1234 format)tech fax is incorrect (has to be in a +1.4165551122x1234 format)

now doing a search of google told me that tech fax & tech phone couldn't be edited through WHMCS, you have to go to OpenSRS and change it there.

having made that change at OpenSRS via the RWI, we could confirm the registration by marking it as paid.

Domain Registered Successfully - Domain ID: 1442 - Domain: domain.eu

so to answer your questions, ensure whmcs set to test mode and register a domain through it - depending on how you've setup whmcs, it should attempt to register once payment has been confirmed by you.

if it doesn't register, you should get an on-screen error message from whmcs (as above), or if it does register, it should say registration confirmed... and I suspect it would be marked in the test environment as registered and you'd be able to view it in your domains... you should log into RWI to confirm that the registration details are correct or whether they need tweaking.

so to answer your questions, ensure whmcs set to test mode and register a domain through it - depending on how you've setup whmcs, it should attempt to register once payment has been confirmed by you.

if it doesn't register, you should get an on-screen error message from whmcs (as above), or if it does register, it should say registration confirmed... and I suspect it would be marked in the test environment as registered and you'd be able to view it in your domains... you should log into RWI to confirm that the registration details are correct or whether they need tweaking.

Thanks, Brian -- That's exactly what I needed! i.e., an overview of the actual workflow.

I was able to combine your advice with Michael's advice from the OpenSRS forum:

You can setup a TLD in the admin area and set the registrar to OpenSRSPro. You'll need to set it to at least $1 for it to show up on the registration page. Then provision the domain in the admin area using OpenSRSPro. Use the test mode so you're not charged for the domain

...and discover that mcrypt is not compiled-in to my installation of PHP (so now I've got to work on that). :mad:

Thanks, again!