Integrate WHMcs with KISSmetrics

Juanzo

For those who never heard of it, KISSmetrics is a paid alternative to Google Analytics to focus on the proper metrics.

In order to properly use it, the platform needs to identify each client and generate events each time a client does specific actions like buying a hosting plan. Their javascript libraries explain how to integrate it but I have some specific questions from the WHMcs side.

For example, to identify users they use:

<script type="text/javascript">
 _kmq.push(['identify', 'name@email.com']);
</script>

How can I print that at the WHMcs template, to replace it with the proper client if logged in?

Also I'd love to at least track new clients using:

_kmq.push(['record', 'Signed Up', {'Plan':'Pro', 'Amount':99.95}]);
</script>

You can use something similar to this:

{if $loggedin}<script type="text/javascript">
   _kmq.push(['identify', '{$clientemail}']);
</script>{/if}

With that said, if you can use something other than their e-mail address as the identifier, I'd suggest their client ID. The e-mail can change, but the ID won't though.

Edited by WHMCS JamesX

Thanks Chris, indeed I'm placing KISSmetrics tracking at the header, right after head and these 2 tracking code at the footer.

That looks great James, but I've tested it and looking at the source code, it prints empty:

_kmq.push(['identify', '']);
</script>

Any idea on why something like this could happen?

Thanks Chris, indeed I'm placing KISSmetrics tracking at the header, right after head and these 2 tracking code at the footer.

That looks great James, but I've tested it and looking at the source code, it prints empty:

_kmq.push(['identify', '']);
</script>

Any idea on why something like this could happen?

Hi, this is the code that works, it has to use literal tags so code is processed correctly:

{if $loggedin}

{literal}

_kmq.push(['identify','{/literal}{$clientsdetails.id}{literal}']);

</script>

{/literal}

{/if}

I'm starting with kissmetrics today, we can collaborate on integration code and suggestions ;-)

Regards,

Edited by factor
Tested and working

Genial factoriadigital, gracias!

I've ended up using the following code, so I can identify clients by their email for the time being.

{if $loggedin}
{literal}
_kmq.push(['identify','{/literal}{$clientsdetails.email}{literal}']);
</script>
{/literal}
{/if}

Now to be able to track orders, I believe we'll need something like this:

{literal}
_kmq.push(['record', 'Contratacion', {'Plan':'Pro', 'Amount':{/literal}{$amount}{literal}}]);
</script>
{/literal}

Any clue what variable should we use to print the service name replacing Pro? I'll test it out and report back.

Configuring this might be harder than I though and KISSmetrics team is already advicing to use their API:

You could streamline the event creation process through the use of our API. Otherwise, you will create each event one by one. In terms of tracking events for a SaaS environment, I would suggest taking a look at this document: http://support.kissmetrics.com/best-practices/saas-essentials

If there are other people interested, we could crowfund this integration.

@altomarketing: Definitivamente si, churn rate y customer lifetime value son 2 de las métricas mas importantes para cualquiera que ofrezca un servicio.