Geo ip tool not working

aryan

I got this from WHMCS when i asked about this

Hi,

It would seem there is an error on the GeoIP site which is not something we can resolve. You can temporarily remove the /en from the address when the 404 error displays to lookup the IP.

I say this is an error on their side as they still have a link on their site that attempts to load the /en/ folder.

Regards,

Andrew

Developer

and GEOIPTOOLS dont display any contact details etc so you cant evewn contact them regarding this http://www.geoiptool.com/en/ seems to work and http://www.geoiptool.com/en/?IP=xx.xxx.xxx.xx only opens GEOIPtools on the page giving the info on your own IP location

Edited by easyhosting

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Maybe it's something with the geoiptool.com site or even the WHMCS license to use their tool automatically but every time I look at an order in WHMCS and click on the IP look up it gives me MY ip and location.

I am also using Maxmind with telephone verification so that's something else to consider.

Maxmind isn't using my IP in their data look up because it (Maxmind) still lists the client's ISP. Also, it doesn't appear that Maxmind has been making the telephone verification calls either.

I went on their site and it seems they have recently done some software upgrades. Has WHMCS incorporated these upgrades in the Maxmind Fraud protection?

Is anyone else having these problems?

Thanks,

redham

Hi JS-James,

Thanks for your reply. Yea, I saw the other thread you linked to before I opened this ticket.

I have just opened a ticket with Maxmind. We'll see what they have to say. There are some other issues which I needed their input on anyway. I'll try to remember to reply here with what they tell me.

I'm also thinking there is even another problem with geoiptool.com website. If I'm not mistaken I think Matt (or cPanel or whoever is running WHMCS these days) has to pay geoiptool.com for automated look-ups from their site so that could have something to do with it too.

Personally, I'm not very excited with the WHMCS and cPanel hooking up. The new Admin screen is already loading much slower and I can see some cPanel influence in it's design. Could be my imagination.

Thanks again,

Redham

I edited the widgets to use the new geoiptool URL when submitting the IP for lookup and it's working fine. They seemingly changed their service and borked some things, including on their Web site. However, if you update the widgets to use the correct URL, the widget lookups will work again.

I'm not sure what to tell you about MaxMind though as it's working fine for me.

Edited by WHMCS JamesX

I edited the widgets to use the new geoiptool URL when submitting the IP for lookup and it's working fine. They seemingly changed their service and borked some things, including on their Web site. However, if you update the widgets to use the correct URL, the widget lookups will work again.

I'm not sure what to tell you about MaxMind though as it's working fine for me.

You said:"I edited the widgets to use the new geoiptool URL"

Do you mean in the WHMCS files?

If so this is a bug that needs addressed in the next release.

Meanwhile, please let me know exactly what you did so I can fix mine too.

Thanks again,

redham

You said:"I edited the widgets to use the new geoiptool URL"

Do you mean in the WHMCS files?

If so this is a bug that needs addressed in the next release.

Meanwhile, please let me know exactly what you did so I can fix mine too.

In the following files:

• modules/widgets/admin_activity.php
  • modules/widgets/client_activity.php

__ FIND __

http://www.geoiptool.com/en/?IP=

__ REPLACE WITH __

http://www.geoiptool.com/?IP=

Weird, Didn't work for me. :(

redham

Those changes will only fix the admin widgets. I'm guessing that you're clicking the IP within the order screen though. As far as I'm aware, that's not editable and needs to be fixed by WHMCS themselves. I believe that hyperlink is hard-coded into admin/orders.php if I'm not mistaken. However, I wouldn't expect anything from them any time soon to correct this.

I'd contacted them within the last week to change something with their own PayPal module's callback due to an issue that I'd discovered causing IPN notifications to be rejected by my WHMCS installation; offering to pay for the service as well to have it done ASAP. I was basically told what to do with myself and to do it myself or to hire somebody to do it and provided the same canned responses to the docs regarding gateway development.

WTF do I need that for? I'm fully aware how to develop a gateway as I have a comprehensive one already and it's in-use. Moreover, why the Hell would I pay somebody to and/or develop on my own a completely new PayPal gateway to correct what would be an extremely minimal/trivial modification to their own encoded gateway? Their Web site says they offer custom development, but they refuse to provide the service when you contact them about it though. Needless to say, I will be resolving that issue on my own.

Edited by WHMCS JamesX

James,

Yes, your correct in that I am using the Oders page "Lookup" button. I can even manually paste the client IP into the 'geoiptool.com' IP text area and it STILL gives me my IP and location. You can still use a couple of other sites to do it manually. I use this one:

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm it isn't always dead on but it is usually correct.

'geoiptool.com' has started (some time ago) charging for their tools if you want to incorporate them into your software for automated lookups. I'm betting WHMCS isn't paid up on their account.

I'm becoming more and more displeased with the WHMCS in it's entirety! You said "I was basically told what to do with myself and to do it myself or to hire somebody to do it and provided the same canned responses to the docs regarding gateway development."

I'm not in the least surprised.

The days of dealing directly with Matt and getting your problems fixed with what was some of the best customer service I've seen is over I am afraid. This cPanel merger (if you believe that) is not going to be a good thing for we clients which have our entire hosting company setup with WHMCS.

I'm thinking it is time to be looking at opensource such as Webmin or the like and customize it for my company. I remember when Helm (the windows control panel) was so much more reliable than Parallels Plesk that it became a real threat to Parallels. So what did Parallels do? They bought out Helm and are just letting it rot away.

There is no other PAID hosting control panel I'll even consider using other than WHMCS. If it gets bad enough I'll just have go the same route of the larger companies and take an opensource hosting panel and redesign it to my own needs.

Thanks to the huge php security injection security problem WHMCS had not long ago I have lost dozens of clients that were with me for 4 and 5 years. My business has went from huge bank deposits sitting in my accounts to barely making the bills any more. It's getting really rough when you consider the bad economy combined with loosing so many clients.

This "New" design isn't making me a happy camper either. The time required for the main admin login page to load is unbearable after becoming use to the snappy quick page change loads I'm use to from WHMCS.

Only a year ago service like you just described above would be unheard of at WHMCS.

Don't get me wrong. I love WHMCS and as I said there is no other paid solution I'll even consider. I'm just worried as heck about things to come, here at WHMCS. I don't want to change :cry: !

And this new domain sync idea isn't a good change either IMO.

If WHMCS ever takes on a partner who also sells hosting then that will be the last straw. I'll be done with them if that ever happens. GOD knows there is enough competition in our business already.

Thanks for your help on the "geoiptool.com" problem. Guess we are in the hands of WHMCS with this one.

Best Regards

redham

James,

Remember where i just said "If WHMCS ever takes on a partner who also sells hosting then that will be the last straw."

I just read their news letter and see this:

"WHMCS Goes Down Under with VentraIP

VentraIP Australia is proud to be partnering with WHMCS. Our newest division, VentraIP Wholesale, is both ICANN and auDA accredited, and provides access to wholesale domain names via the in-built WHMCS module, API or web interface. WHMCS is our billing and automation platform of choice, which we recommend to all of our wholesale customers who are looking to re-sell services to end users. More information on our wholesale services can be found at http://www.ventraipwholesale.com.au/"

This sucks dirt!

redham