Really, Really, Really Simple Ordering?

My target client does not know what a dns is, or a nameserver. I need to find or create an ordering template that is so simple that the lady from the "Where's the Beef" commercial could do it.

It may be that I can be pointed to treads on customizing the template -- or perhaps there are other templates available? If anyone has done some work in this area, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Hello Mark,

I've found that a great way to start is by re-wording a lot of the text in the carts. This can be done in the following file:

/lang/english.php

For example you could rename:

I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain.

to:

I have a domain (e.g yourwebsite.com) with another company and wish to use it with this hosting account

Doing this throughout the shopping cart of choice will make a big difference.

The main problem with customizing the cart templates is that most of the of the content has to be there, so it's just a matter of moving it around and explaining everything more so than removing things. With that said there is some things you can remove to simplify the process.

Another thing that can be done is removing as much of the template as possible on checkout pages. For example if you have a lot of links in the menu you could remove it completely on checkout pages to focus the users attention on the steps to complete their order.

---

I've yet to come across any shopping cart templates but you could always post your requirements in the marketplace section of this forum.

Jack

markcrobinson I SO AGREE with you...

I can't tell you how badly I just want a SIMPLE cart that allows me to send clients to a SINGLE PAGE where they simply fill out their DOMAIN NAME ONLY - and I can populate everything already for them - PROMOCODE, product, etc... and all they do is hit GO... and then it takes them to fill in their client info...

i cannot even tell you how frustrating this is...

By the way zomex,

I hear and appreciate your advice above.... BUT - I find that when I pull one of my family members in to test things... ANY AND ALL carts supplied by WHMCS are too hard and it slows the order process and they get confused and frustrated and give me thumbs down...

and they always say - just let me tell you my domain name and hit GO... thats all they want.

+1 +1 +1 ! :-)

On a related note the thing that still confuses me about the ordering process and I really should understand but I don't:

1) Customer orders a Server Hosting product

2) From the "The product/service you have chosen requires a domain name" screen the customer chooses "I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain", enters their domain in the box and clicks Continue.

3) On the final Product Configuration screen there's a 'Configure Server' section which asks for 'NS1 Prefix' and 'NS2 Prefix'. Having already selected "I will update my name servers on an existing domain earlier in the ordering process why is the form now asking for some name server details and what is it going to do with them?

It's a very confusing section for less technical customers and....it confuses me why it needs this information

Thanks,

Steve

So I guess what I need to do is start tearing apart the code... mostly simple ways, I think. Like:

Enter a domain name on the API and it takes to to the DOMAIN CHECKER screen which asks for for a domain name... The "Order Button" is on the bottom of the page. I'd like to move this to the top of the page.

Where should I start looking for these files?

Hi, just an update and FYI of how I am currently handling this issue (also, I fully understand that this is defnitely NOT the best way and I would appreciate any advice on how to do this better)...

I am creating new CARTS for EACH and every item that I want to have a customized order form for...

A quick hint about changing text in the language files...

While looking at a 3rd party module I found that they had created a new folder and language file with language overrides:

whmcs/lang/overrides/english.php

So if I wanted to change

$_LANG["orderdomainoption2"] = "I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain.";

TO

$_LANG["orderdomainoption2"] = "I already have a domain (e.g yoursitename.com) and wish to use it with this account.";

I would just add the new definition in my override file whmcs/lang/overrides/english.php and it just works.

This way I don't have to worry about regressions on text changes every time I update WHMCS.

• 1 month later...

I can't tell you how badly I just want a SIMPLE cart that allows me to send clients to a SINGLE PAGE where they simply fill out their DOMAIN NAME ONLY - and I can populate everything already for them - PROMOCODE, product, etc... and all they do is hit GO... and then it takes them to fill in their client info...

You can, just alter the tpls of the cart you want to use - plenty of instructions on the forum on how to dumb-down the orderforms by making fields hidden, prepopulating them etc.