"Require all tickets to be opened from the client area" Lack of Bounce Message

I'm not sure if this is a bug report or a feature request as we've only just started testing it out.

Steps to recreate the issue:

1. Check the "Require all tickets to be opened from the client area" box for a support department

2. Try opening a ticket via email by sending a new email to the address associated with the department

3. I'd expect a bounce message to come back saying the ticket could not be opened, but instead, the email is black-holed. (No bounce message, and no ticket created)

Version: 5.0.3

Edited by D9Hosting
Version number added

3. I'd expect a bounce message to come back saying the ticket could not be opened, but instead, the email is black-holed. (No bounce message, and no ticket created)

Version: 5.0.3

why. you are not trying to open a ticket, you are sending an email to an active email address, so why would it bounce back. it would only bounce back if the email address was made up or not active

why. you are not trying to open a ticket,

I was testing what would happen if a client did try to open a ticket by emailing the department rather than opening the ticket from their client area. A lot of clients are used to opening tickets by email, so if there is a change in the system that requires them to open tickets from within their client area, they need to know the ticket they attempted to open via email hadn't been received.

you are sending an email to an active email address, so why would it bounce back.

It should bounce back because the ticket isn't able to be opened - as it does if a client attempts to open a ticket from an email address not associated with their client account. (If that option is enabled)

it would only bounce back if the email address was made up or not active

Exim wouldn't bounce the message because the mail is being piped correctly to the script, it's WHMCS that is failing to send out the bounce message, not Exim.

iir, in 4.x (when I was using that) if a client tried to open via e-mail it would bounce back to them and tell them all tickets need to be opened from the client area.

So the behavior you describe (at least at one point) did exist.

It still does exist in some form, if you check the "Only allow registered clients to submit tickets to this department" (or however it's worded) box and then try and submit a ticket from an unregistered email address you do get a bounce message sent out from WHMCS. Just nothing if you check "Require all tickets to be opened from the client area", so guessing it's probably a bug.

@D9Hosting, the same problem also happen if you check "Only allow registered clients to open tickets in this department" and check "Do not send the autoresponder message for new tickets", then unregistered email address do not get a bounce message. I would consider that a bug.

We do not like to spam clients by sending automatic confirmation email to all support tickets that is opened, so therfor we have checked "Do not send the autoresponder message for new tickets", but also we have checked "Only allow registered clients to open tickets in this department", for safety reasons.

It is a problem that when clients open a ticket from a unregistered email, that they do not get any bounce message. I believe I reported this in the forum for about two years ago, but still the bug exist.

Edited by ditto