DuoSecurity coming to WHMCS soon!

So I signed up to DuoSecurity today, I love their service.. But they dont feature WHMCS support... So I asked them..

Hello again

→Do you provide DuoSecurity for WHMCS?

Duo Security: Kasper, I am not familiar with WHMCS. A quick search shows that it is some sort of managed services provider? We are always looking to add support for additional services, so that may have to be something we look into adding support for in the future. Or did I misunderstand your question?

→Yes you got it right, its more of a billing system, and the admin panel requires only one login.. I think it would be great if DuoS could be added to this software.

Duo Security: Kasper, actually, I was just speaking with one of our product managers, and he mentioned that he was actually talking to folks from WHMCS earlier in the day, and this is a planned integration.

→Great! Any eta when this will be added? :)

Duo Security: I believe it is currently a little early for any estimates on that.

→Okay, thank you anyway.. Great support by the way, and a great system.

Duo Security: Thank you, Kasper. We always love to hear from people who are using our service.

Wow, well I cant wait.. :)

Anyone that has no idea who WHMCS is I'd stay away from.... my 2 cents

Not everything on the internet revolves around the web hosting industry. I'll bet if you shot an email to Cisco, they'd have no clue what WHMCS was either.

You think do ya.... I'd think again...

Whats that supposed to mean? My point was, just because someone doesn't know what WHMCS is, doesnt mean they're not a reputable company. Your blanket statement about staying far away from them because they didnt know what WHMCS was, is far from responsible.

Not to mention the fact he could have been talking to a level 1 support guy who had no idea how webhosting works.

Hardly, they only said they were looking at integrating it so not exactly the full conversation is it...

The comment from the agent was that "I was just speaking with one of our product managers, and he mentioned that he was actually talking to folks from WHMCS earlier in the day, and this is a planned integration."

How was any of that statement appropriate? It revealed a conversation that WHMCS may have thought was protected by a reasonable expectation of confidentiality, and revealed an enhancement that WHMCS staff may not have been ready to pursue.

The client, in this case WHMCS, should be able to expect that the conversations they have with a vendor are not part of a public dialogue.

As someone pointed out above, this is a security company, so the expectation of confidentiality should be even higher.

Hardly, as it had already been mentioned on the forum that it was a possibility for inclusion 5.1.3 or 5.1.4

Yes, but the tech at DUO did not know that. He had already admitted he had not heard of WHMCS, so it is unlikely that he followed the forums.

And, it's not paranoia. It's more of a criticism that they appear to not place any value on the confidentiality of conversations they have with their clients.

Don't your clients have a right to expect that conversations they might have with you are held in confidence?

Ultimately we are probably raking an immature tech over the coals. It wasn't very professional to say that he had never heard of WHMCS, and less so to discuss WHMCS interactions with another client.

Probably on the verge of beating this issue to death as well!

A client asks a security company about the possble integration with WHMCS.

The support tech (whos level matters not one iota) goes to his development manage (within the company) and discusses WHMCS and the possibility of WHMCS integration, (likely as a way to get a big fat bonus) who confirms there have been talks with WHMCS. support tech comes back and confirms possible future integration.

There is no security risk, All parties involved except the support worker know what whmcs is. seriously people jump on such mundane **** in here

Yes, but the tech at DUO did not know that. He had already admitted he had not heard of WHMCS, so it is unlikely that he followed the forums.

does it matter? its not a security risk to know that there is something in the pipeline seriously there are far worse things going on in the world.

• WHMCS CEO

I do actually agree that Duo should not have disclosed this was being worked on. We may have been waiting to announce it at a specific time. But 2 Factor auth is infact something we've been looking at and working on for a few months now, and DuoSecurity is just one possible option that we're looking at adding support for, but there are 2 other completely free solutions we've implemented that I'm sure will be the most popular.

Matt

I do actually agree that Duo should not have disclosed this was being worked on. We may have been waiting to announce it at a specific time. But 2 Factor auth is infact something we've been looking at and working on for a few months now, and DuoSecurity is just one possible option that we're looking at adding support for, but there are 2 other completely free solutions we've implemented that I'm sure will be the most popular.

Matt

Any chance of Google Authenticator? Completely free!

Any chance of Google Authenticator? Completely free!

Am i right in assuming that this is relating to the signing of carts? if not, matt seeing as you have posted, can we have this please.

No it isnt, ignore my ramblings, except the signed carts part.. i think we should have this

Edited by disgruntled