how to do CHMOD 777

vj135

When i do the upgrade i am presented with 2 items that did not pass;

Configuration File .......... You must set permissions for the configuration.php file so it can be written to (CHMOD 777)

Announcements RSS File .......... You must set permissions for the announcements.xml file so it can be written to (CHMOD 777)

How do i fix the above?

thanks

vijay

Several ways to do this:

FTP: usually you can right click on the file on the server and choose "properties" or something similar. From that menu you can CHMOD.

Shell: If you are familiar with using shell and have access, just type the following at the command prompt while in the same folder as the file: chmod 777 ./filename.ext

(where filename.ext is the actual files name and extension)

Cpanel: Use Cpanels file manager to navigate to the folder where the file exists on the server. Click to highlight the file, and look in the far right hand window for "permissions". Check the boxes for all to set 777 (read, write and execute) in all three columns.

Holler if I wasn't clear or if you need a hand.

Does configuration.php have to be cmoded to 777 b/c in one of the whmcs documentation it said to chmod configuration.php to 644 after install and now when I make changed in my admin config - the changes dont get saved?

If in fact configuration.php has to be cmoded 777 all the time than does this pose a risk that someone could access my config file?

Thanks.

Does configuration.php have to be cmoded to 777 b/c in one of the whmcs documentation it said to chmod configuration.php to 644 after install and now when I make changed in my admin config - the changes dont get saved?

Yes you are correct. For new installs, you must have write access to configuration.php. After you have installed WHMCS you no longer need write access for configuration.php. Having no write access to configuration.php will not effect any changes in the admin area. Thats something else.

If in fact configuration.php has to be cmoded 777 all the time than does this pose a risk that someone could access my config file?

Thanks.

Well any file or folder having CHMOD of 777 is bad. That is why your server needs to be running suPHP or PHPsuExec which lets you the user have write access to your files with out CHMODing anything to 777. In fact if you do, you will get an error on the page and your script will fail.

From,

Adam

Yes you are correct. For new installs, you must have write access to configuration.php. After you have installed WHMCS you no longer need write access for configuration.php. Having no write access to configuration.php will not effect any changes in the admin area. Thats something else.

Thanks.

Well any file or folder having CHMOD of 777 is bad. That is why your server needs to be running suPHP or PHPsuExec which lets you the user have write access to your files with out CHMODing anything to 777. In fact if you do, you will get an error on the page and your script will fail.

From,

Adam

Thanks Adam. So I will install PHPsuExec.

What I dont understand is when configuration.php was not cmoded 777 any changes to my config within the admin cp would not save, it said it did save but if you went to another page and came back to the settings page you just altered, the settings were gone....

What I dont understand is when configuration.php was not cmoded 777 any changes to my config within the admin cp would not save, it said it did save but if you went to another page and came back to the settings page you just altered, the settings were gone....

That file has nothing to do with the admin setting in the web panel. That config. file ONLY has your database login information, your license key and where the template_c folder is.

The problem you are facing is either having to many windows open (of the same page) or and not hitting the Save button, after you chose an option.

From,

Adam

Be aware that phpSuExec may break other scripts, and it's not going to make things completely safe. All that does is run PHP with the ownership of the user account it's installed on (requiring lower permissions)...if there are holes in any scripts in the account, they can still gain access and do "bad things".

That file has nothing to do with the admin setting in the web panel. That config. file ONLY has your database login information, your license key and where the template_c folder is.

The problem you are facing is either having to many windows open (of the same page) or and not hitting the Save button, after you chose an option.

From,

Adam

I knew that, thanks Adam. :D

Be aware that phpSuExec may break other scripts, and it's not going to make things completely safe. All that does is run PHP with the ownership of the user account it's installed on (requiring lower permissions)...if there are holes in any scripts in the account, they can still gain access and do "bad things".

Do you install phpSuExec?

When you say break other scripts, can you elaborate?

Thanks.

Do you install phpSuExec?

When you say break other scripts, can you elaborate?

I don't personally use it on my servers. As for what breaks? Google has tons of links, easier than my explaining them all:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phpsuexec+breaks+scripts&btnG=Google+Search

Hey,

My personal experience from using suPHP and PHPsuExec is that it does not break script (like WHMCS not working, vBulletin, IPB, etc).

The only things that give off errors are the following

CHMOD value of anything higher then 755.

.htaccess with php_value in it (you have to use php.ini instead)

Files/Folders not being owned by the user (dir -ls)

Thats it! Semi-links works fine on my servers (ln command), just make sure its owned by the user.

From,

Adam