Backup Agent

Hi,

A few weeks ago BackupAgent (http://www.backupagent.com) launched their integration for WHMCS. I'm sure several of us have contacted Backup Agent to obtain pricing and investigate the possibility of launching our own online backup offering - the system seems ideal tying into WHMCS for invoicing and provisioning purposes.

We'll be launching a hosted trial shortly, however I'd like to obtain feedback from the community if possible. I've found very limited reviews on the web, the only thread being this one from Webmaster Forums: http://www.webmasterforums.com/online-backups/15061-backupagent.html

I'd appreciate any feedback that might be forthcoming. I need to be able to justify this type of investment and without the software performing I can't :)

Adam

I have toi agree with mylove4life on this. no listed price i would say means too high a price and if they listed this them they would get no business,

all their pricing page states is "Monthly pricing, based on actual usage " so who can tell the actual usage you would use.

they could of easily stated like " from $$$ a GB", but what they want is you to make an equiry so they can get one of their sales agents to call you and try and sell your loads more than what you want at OTT prices.

why bother with that sort of service?

rent a cheap server with no control panel, a windows based on will give you a remote desktop, install your server software (filezilla maybe) set up dyndns and have the server ping their server once every couple of weeks to keep your ip alive, then you just set up the backups to ftp over to the new server, its more fidly to set up, but its easy to maintain and certainly cost effective, in this way you would bill for restorations only.

why bother with that sort of service?

rent a cheap server with no control panel, a windows based on will give you a remote desktop, install your server software (filezilla maybe) set up dyndns and have the server ping their server once every couple of weeks to keep your ip alive, then you just set up the backups to ftp over to the new server, its more fidly to set up, but its easy to maintain and certainly cost effective, in this way you would bill for restorations only.

easier option if your server runs cpanel. as you say get a cheap server with SSH access and then on the server you want to backup get cpremote ($3 a month) install this and then just set this up to backup what you want remotely to the cheap server

easier option if your server runs cpanel. as you say get a cheap server with SSH access and then on the server you want to backup get cpremote ($3 a month) install this and then just set this up to backup what you want remotely to the cheap server

yeah i was thinking less cost than that myself, the price of the server with free opensource software installed would be a very economic solution, cpanel dependant on where you get it cost you on top of the server so im thinking this cost can be eliminated, but in any case its still much cheaper to use either of our options in most cases, although, i am sure there are some very very cheap backup solutions out there.

you can also rsync with a cpanel server, too which is good for incremental backups i believe making for a very economic solution as you wouldnt be storing masses of identical back ups.

Personally i do store several backups right now, weekly, then the final backup of a month gets renamed as the monthly backup when the 1st one of the next month gets stored, weekly are named by week number, monthly by month.

This sort of setup while not fool proof gives me a total of 16 backups on the system once its been running a year, thats all cpanel accounts with databases.

I used to do this in an offline setup. basically having a server setup here for storage only, the server is only online on the days that the backups run, outside of this is firewall is locked down and run on a shedule to be receptive to the server ips that are storing backups.

Nothing massively technical but it does mean i have instant local access to the backups if ever i need them.

you can also rsync with a cpanel server, too which is good for incremental backups i believe making for a very economic solution as you wouldnt be storing masses of identical back ups.

this is how cpremote works, it only backups any files that have changed since last backup.

yes you can get some good backup solutions, we have 1 that cost 30 euro a year, this was OK, but it was taking on average 16 hours to backup sites to this server which was playing havoc with the I/O etc of my server.

so i got a cheap VPS and installed CPremote on my main server and set this up and now it takes only upto 2 hrs to do the backup

I can see a benefit for Windows based servers which are on the customer site as their software will back up server files, system state, Exchange (folder level), MSSQL and MySQL. It sits in the same market as software like Ahsay and R1soft. Speaking of which, there is an official Ahsay addon for WHMCS so I would assume somebody has used those two in tandem at some point in the past?

The pricing isn't too bad for a self hosted solution, SaaS seems high considering you would also need to courier a seed-load hard drive to the Netherlands for the initial sync..

Self Hosted

- Workstation CAL €1.50

- Server CAL €6.00

- Price per allocated GB €0.08

- Monthly minimum invoice €250

SaaS

- Workstation CAL €1.50

- Server CAL €6.00

- Price per allocated GB (<2 TB) €0.50

- Price per allocated GB (2-4 TB) €0.45

- Price per allocated GB (4> TB) €0.40

The pricing isn't too bad for a self hosted solution,

Self Hosted

SaaS

so you call a minimum monthly cost of €250 not to bad

well you can get a 100GB VPS for approx. $30 to $50 a month and then cpremote for $3 a month and then backup the files/folders to your own backup server.

If you can show me how to make cpremote backup an Exchange server, MSSQL server and Windows System State which all make use of VSS writer then I'll take your point on board.

I appreciate your standpoint and without sounding condescending, please read my post and note I mentioned we need to backup Windows servers..

• 5 months later...

Personally, I found the software they provide to be really good.

And since this is a "partner" type program, you have to deal with clients that don't know much about computers, their software is easy to install, easy to set up tasks, easy to restore and the client (once tasks are set up) doesn't need to mess with the software anymore unless he wants something specific.

Basically the user forgets the software is installed, and with WHMCS you can create invoices per month or per year term, you as a partner, pay only for the used GB of server CAL's (if you are self hosted).

Right now the prices went up a bit for minimum invoices, but they give you a 2 month no-minimum and free private label to get you started, Right now I can say that after a month, we are able to pay the minimum monthly fee and our costumers seem pretty satisfied.

• 4 weeks later...

So do I need cpanel on my VPS to synch the files over? Oops, I don't have that. Guess I'll have to FTP.

I had a full backup done of my old shared hosting account at hg yesterday and I have a VPS to put them on. My question is, will the 'full backup' that HG nicely did for me (I was over the limit for auto backup) include the databases of the Wordpress sites or just the files?

So do I need cpanel on my VPS to synch the files over? Oops, I don't have that. Guess I'll have to FTP.

I had a full backup done of my old shared hosting account at hg yesterday and I have a VPS to put them on. My question is, will the 'full backup' that HG nicely did for me (I was over the limit for auto backup) include the databases of the Wordpress sites or just the files?

Can't see how your question relates to this thread... but... full cpanel backups contain everything for that cpanel account. However, if you don't have cpanel on your VPS, you will have an challenging time getting everything working again. Why didn't you get cpanel on your new server?

• 1 year later...
so you call a minimum monthly cost of €250 not to bad

well you can get a 100GB VPS for approx. $30 to $50 a month and then cpremote for $3 a month and then backup the files/folders to your own backup server.

and if your cpremote doesn´t work (i have this issue at 2 servers at the same time with no working SQL backups) the cpremote support feedback is:

We are not authorized to check this issue in details why because you don't have an active server management plan with us. And also we have previously updated you the proper reasons regards about this issue. Hope you understand us. Thanks

it´s cheap, doesn´t work and the support is....

and if your cpremote doesn´t work (i have this issue at 2 servers at the same time with no working SQL backups) the cpremote support feedback is:

We are not authorized to check this issue in details why because you don't have an active server management plan with us. And also we have previously updated you the proper reasons regards about this issue. Hope you understand us. Thanks

it´s cheap, doesn´t work and the support is....

Any issue i have had has been sorted out by our server provider, who we got our cpremote licence through, but in 6 years cpremote has been working faultless