Client Exec Importer

Anubianhost

Question

14 answers to this question

• WHMCS CEO

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in switching to WHMCS. I can confirm that we do indeed have a working importer for ClientExec V4.4 and the data transferred in a CE migration includes: Servers, Products, Clients, Client Groups, Contacts, Packages, Domains, Invoices, Transactions, Notes & Support Tickets

If you experience any problems during the move, just get in touch and we'll be happy to help.

Matt

• WHMCS Customer Service

Hi Sixullc,

The ClientExec import script is compatible with v4 or higher. If you are having issues with this please feel free to open a ticket with our support department.

If you have already opened a ticket with our support team regarding this then please let me know the ticket number and I will pass it along for someone to look into for you.

I just did the import from V4.6 and it was a huge pain, some of the issues I encountered:

- Credit card didn't move over (no surprise there though)

- Packages were moved over but not the pricing

- Domains were moved over as packages instead of in the "Domain" tab of WHMCS

- Client info was a bit screwed up

- If you tax your client make sure the "state" match the rules in WHMCS, huge headache for me, I had to go into all my client account and update the province

- Some package didn't transfer over properly and I had to update recurring billing. It also didn't import anything from username / password for package accounts.

- Client groups didn't get transferred over but I that's ok

- Invoices from "Closed" accounts got transferred over as "cancelled" instead of "paid"

- Payment gateway for imported invoice is all screwed up, it doesn't matter what you had before they are imported as the default payment gateway you have setup in WHMCS

- Taxes were not transferred over, still trying to get support to help me out with....my accountant is not a happy camper!

All in all I had huge headaches with the import and I had to shut down my hosting site for a couple of days will everything was fixed!

Even though the headaches though I wouldn't go back to CE, just one of those things you gotta live with when you made a bad decision earlier.

Roch Lambert

I just did the import from V4.6 and it was a huge pain, some of the issues I encountered:

- Credit card didn't move over (no surprise there though)

- Packages were moved over but not the pricing

- Domains were moved over as packages instead of in the "Domain" tab of WHMCS

- Client info was a bit screwed up

- If you tax your client make sure the "state" match the rules in WHMCS, huge headache for me, I had to go into all my client account and update the province

- Some package didn't transfer over properly and I had to update recurring billing. It also didn't import anything from username / password for package accounts.

- Client groups didn't get transferred over but I that's ok

- Invoices from "Closed" accounts got transferred over as "cancelled" instead of "paid"

- Payment gateway for imported invoice is all screwed up, it doesn't matter what you had before they are imported as the default payment gateway you have setup in WHMCS

- Taxes were not transferred over, still trying to get support to help me out with....my accountant is not a happy camper!

All in all I had huge headaches with the import and I had to shut down my hosting site for a couple of days will everything was fixed!

Even though the headaches though I wouldn't go back to CE, just one of those things you gotta live with when you made a bad decision earlier.

Roch Lambert

Yup, we had the same issue.

As a follow-up, we've been developing a migration path with promising results. Certain encrypted and custom information needs to be cleaned up beforehand or re-entered afterward, but, what looked to be an insurmountable task is now looking like something we can handle.

The plan is to take a replicate of the CE data, and

- prep it for parsing by whmcs with a set of precrafted queries

- run the CE->WHMCS import script offered by WHMCS.com download area

- run a series of post-import cleanup scripts that reassemble the data

What remains is divisible tasks that can be handled by Sales, Billing, and Support/tech as necessary.

FWIW, we opened a ticket with WHMCS months ago about this and first received no reply; then received a tepid response to our request that we work with WHMCS and an uncompiled copy of their import script because we know CE so well; and finally, a really insulting series of replies by techs at the WHMCS team that probably shouldn't have bothered replying.

We respect WHMCS as a solid product, but it was disheartening that we were willing to work with their team to help other CE users convert over. We drank the CE koolaid for far too long working with their team directly on things (and them making sweeping promises they never carried through on, pushing them out to the 5.0 release which, 1 year later is still nowhere to be seen)...

I guess... folks... if you're going to commit to support a product and your customers needs, then do it. If not, then don't. But in either case, please be up front about it. At the end of the day, customers will be the ones that help you know if the product and service you provide is what you tout it to be, or not.

Cheers,

David Anderson

Canvas Host, LLC

Hi Infopro,

Sure. I'd private message you, but permissions on our profile here prevent it (and I can't edit the settings, even). For security reasons I'm not comfortable posting a ticket number in an open forum. If there's anything that can be done about it, that would be great.

We had several exchanges with technicians.

They first insisted the importer works (when we tried and it clearly did not, as CE modified their database schema in 4.5.x).

Then they asked us to provide a sample of our active CE database for testing (which is a security concern as we weren't even an active WHMCS customer yet, so we sent them a snippet of our own internal data that we were managing in CE).

We further replied that we'd determined there were changes in the schema and could even advise on helping WHMCS tweak the import script but that was met with first no response, then we heard back that the information had been forwarded to WHMCS developers.

No response, then a reply to our follow-up that there were no plans to modify the importer and we should check back within a year.

So we're building a script ourselves. This doesn't bode well, as CE was much more responsive on helping customers with custom scripting requests. Initial take is, WHMCS is a better product, but CE has vastly better and personalized customer support.

Thanks,

David