Best Payment Gateway

kers7754

We need to make a decision this week about what payment gateway to go with. We do somewhat low volume of orders a month so we would like to keep the cost down as much as possible.

We would like to keep the credit card processing on our site if possible.

Any suggestions?

Looking at authorize.net seems that they charge $99 for setup and $20 a month even if 0 transactions are made. Are they better options?

>> How hard is it to be compliant (pci)?

Not sure about CDG Commerce (have not checked), but authorize.net asks for an additional monthly $20 fee for storing credit card data on THEIR server (instead of in your WHMCS data base). We just last week transferred all cc data to them, exactly because of PCI rules, is otherwise far more costly and complicated to keep up with those.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Yes, its Quantum Gateway in WHMCS. PCI compliance is a whole different topic. If you dont want to deal with it, get a merchant account that stores the credit cards for you, such as Authorize.Net CIM.

>> How hard is it to be compliant (pci)?

Not sure about CDG Commerce (have not checked), but authorize.net asks for an additional monthly $20 fee for storing credit card data on THEIR server (instead of in your WHMCS data base). We just last week transferred all cc data to them, exactly because of PCI rules, is otherwise far more costly and complicated to keep up with those.

Frank

If you are not storing the card details (which you would be mad to do anyway) but you are having card details entered on your site then you still need to satisfy a quarterly PCI scan and submit a SAQ.

2checkout is a good option. If you look at partners section of this whmcs site there is an offer you can use to get it with no set up cost.

Stripe is a good service , I just don't like the fact that there is no official plugin from stripe for whmcs. There many extra advantages with 2checkout over stripe anyway such as accepting payments from abroad and multiple currencies.

>> 2checkout is a good option.

Is that so? We have a 2nd business website now, all registered and everything fine, all paperwork fine, everything fine--U.S. business. 2CheckOut has our "application" since three weeks, and they just don't get it done, don't react to emails, nothing. ...They just don't seem very eager to do business. Getting regular full merchant acct. and using authorize.net is faster! (We just wanted 2CO for Euro payments. But seems this is not going to happen.) I also had someone from 2CO on the phone ones, and my impression was that this was someone who had no clue about anything ... reminded me of some hired overseas phone support service (but it was local).

John

Edited by basic

>> 2checkout is a good option.

Is that so? We have a 2nd business website now, all registered and everything fine, all paperwork fine, everything fine--U.S. business. 2CheckOut has our "application" since three weeks, and they just don't get it done, don't react to emails, nothing. ...They just don't seem very eager to do business. Getting regular full merchant acct. and using authorize.net is faster! (We just wanted 2CO for Euro payments. But seems this is not going to happen.) I also had someone from 2CO on the phone ones, and my impression was that this was someone who had no clue about anything ... reminded me of some hired overseas phone support service (but it was local).

John

Did you (if not try) emailing risk@2co.com - I found once I sent an email regarding my application to that address I was sent strait to the que and within 24 hours I was approved.

I have to agree with you frank, paying the gateway to do the storage is a bargain at $20 a month if you have the demand for it. I mean, you can be pci compliant or as close to it as you can affordably get and still pay them, its not a lot of money for the peace of mind you are getting.

In any case, to answer the question.

I have just started using GoCardless they allow for DirectDebit transfers here in the uk and at 1% with a maximum of £2.00 per transaction. can you really afford to go anywhere else?

a £1.00 tranaction will cost you.. get this not 25p + 1.5% no, it will only cost you 1 pence. that is a massive saving and cuts out a huge amount of costs involved.

I cant vouch for them as a company as i have only just started with them, but i can tell you im more than happy with their pricing.

My test payment, made on the 23rd, £1.00 cleared my bank on 1st, 99p returned to my account on 2nd. so there is no long wait, and apparently (im waiting to see) the second payment takes less time because the DD is setup already.

Edited by CDJ Hosting

• 8 months later...

We've been using gocardless for a year now and it is very nice BUT - the module for whmcs is NOT as it should be. The DD is based on the order, not the account. This means that you cannot:

1. collect funds for invoices you manually create

2. if a new order is added, a new DD needs to be created - if you use prorata invoicing and all invoices are collected on the same date for the customer, which we do, it is fine for future payments for the new order as it will be part of the invoice for the order that was originally set up for DD but you will need to make a note to manually add the 'extra' amount (and not send the customer overdue remidners)

3. If the customer is late paying and uses mass pay - you basically have no DD setup - the next renewal will not process.

Credit/Debit cards. Just switching over from worldpay/futurepay to stripe (we want to use tokens and NOT to store credit card details). Stripe is great, a bit expensive, but works much better. Use Joe's whmcs/stripe module http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?64463-Free-Stripe-Payment-Gateway-with-Stripe-js-support&highlight=stripe works a treat.

The default GoCardless module generally works but the logic is crazy, requiring a 'per service' agreement to be setup. However, if you spend a couple of hours working with the code you can get it to work like a credit/debit card albeit takes a couple of days to get the payment confirmation. Rather than setup an agreement per product you can modify the code to create a higher value agreement to cover all transactions within the account. The only thing you then have to handle is that WHMCS will want to send payment reminders, etc when it is in appropriate but this is easily handled by suppressing certain emails using action hooks.

Modifying code is not for everyone but Gocardless works well with a little effort.

Any luck with iVeri Lite? We have found implementation pretty easy, though a big red Requesting Authorisation screen appears anytime we submit an authorization to iVeri. Anyone know if there is an API or script that can get around this? For our e-commerce site, having our customers see a big red screen immediately after clicking submit is very bad. Like any high quality site, we would like the submit to run in the background and be invisible to our customers.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend Stripe. It is by far the best option that I have found.

We used to use Authorize net and it was horrible! They nickel and dimed you on various fees. The charges were always higher than we were expecting. We were running significant volume with them too (~$100k/month).

I vote Stripe all the way.

When you estimated CDG to be around $10 a month with a small transaction fee, was that the Quantum Gateway with the Quantum Vault?

We use Quantum Vault and have never been charged anything additional for using it. We went through CDG Commerce, and pay the $10 per month plus the transaction fees. If you accept American Express, make sure you login to their site and setup paperless statements. Otherwise American Express will charge you $7 a month to mail you paper statements. You don't have to worry about PCI compliance, if you use Quantum Vault. The client's full credit card info never passes across your local network or gets stored in your database.

Sean

Edited by SeanP