Downtime?

nitemarenet

Before even posting here I've checked everywhere and yep, whmcs.com isn't responding. The unfortunate thing is my license never validated.. soo now I'm without admin access to something I paid for. It seems like this isn't the first time I've noticed the website down however and I'm wondering if this should be addressed for a company that must have a pretty massive client base at this point?

Before even posting here I've checked everywhere and yep, whmcs.com isn't responding. The unfortunate thing is my license never validated.. soo now I'm without admin access to something I paid for. It seems like this isn't the first time I've noticed the website down however and I'm wondering if this should be addressed for a company that must have a pretty massive client base at this point?

I too can not access whmcs.com nor can I log into my administrator as it gives a License noconnection error.

How long will the whmcs site be down?

I'm in the same position - and just after noticing that my installation has been hacked! Now I can't do anything to change passwords and apply updates. I'm going mad here haha!

I hope it's back online soon because this is a big problem and I can't even log in to answer customers.

Surely there's a better way to check licensing than this - the error says that the license hasn't been verified for 7 days but I can't imagine the license server has been down for that long so maybe more regular checks would be a good idea.

• WHMCS CEO

Hi Guys,

Our website is currently experiencing problems following a failed PHP upgrade by our host. WHMCS uses a system of local keys though so providing your local key is valid at the time this occurred, you'll have no problems continueing to access your installation.

Matt

I'm in the same position - and just after noticing that my installation has been hacked! Now I can't do anything to change passwords and apply updates. I'm going mad here haha!

I hope it's back online soon because this is a big problem and I can't even log in to answer customers.

Surely there's a better way to check licensing than this - the error says that the license hasn't been verified for 7 days but I can't imagine the license server has been down for that long so maybe more regular checks would be a good idea.

Or at least give a leaway period that allows for the server to be down!

Hi Guys,

Our website is currently experiencing problems following a failed PHP upgrade by our host. WHMCS uses a system of local keys though so providing your local key is valid at the time this occurred, you'll have no problems continueing to access your installation.

Matt

I know that my key was valid and I was accessing my whmcs administrator off and on for the past few weeks with no issues and today it stopped and is giving the License Noconnection error.

How long should I wait to try to regain access?

• WHMCS CEO

There is a leaway period of up to 10 days in total with the local licensing key system we implement in WHMCS so our downtime does not affect installs (again providing your local license is valid prior to that downtime). Please see http://docs.whmcs.com/Licensing#Is_licensing_dependant_on_whmcs.com_being_online.3F for more details.

Our host is working on the issue as a priority so we hope to be back online very shortly.

Matt

Hi Guys,

Matt

No offense, but during the day? and I'm kind of surprised you don't have more than one server (even geographically) delivering licensing.. I understand that the keys are valid for a few days, but I'm honestly not even sure how mine is invalid at this point as I purchased a new license and installed 5.0 yesterday afternoon.

There is a leaway period of up to 10 days in total with the local licensing key system we implement in WHMCS so our downtime does not affect installs (again providing your local license is valid prior to that downtime). Please see http://docs.whmcs.com/Licensing#Is_licensing_dependant_on_whmcs.com_being_online.3F for more details.

Our host is working on the issue as a priority so we hope to be back online very shortly.

Matt

THANKS FOR WORKING TO GET US BACK UP ASAP!!

Sincerely,

George

Hi Guys,

I can confirm the site is back online now. If you experienced an issue with your local key during the downtime, open a ticket so your local keys can be checked.

Matt

I am getting an Access Denied Your IP Address has been banned because of 3 Invalid Login Attempts...What do I do now?

• WHMCS CEO
No offense, but during the day? and I'm kind of surprised you don't have more than one server (even geographically) delivering licensing.. I understand that the keys are valid for a few days, but I'm honestly not even sure how mine is invalid at this point as I purchased a new license and installed 5.0 yesterday afternoon.

To become invalid that quickly when we become temporarily unreachable indicates that your local key is not ever validating properly. So that needs to be checked. The local keys system is very reliable normally and should far exceed any solution backup servers could offer.

I am getting an Access Denied Your IP Address has been banned because of 3 Invalid Login Attempts...What do I do now?

This can't be related to our downtime, but if you can't sit out the ban time, you can unblock yourself via the tblbannedips table of the database.

Matt

To become invalid that quickly when we become temporarily unreachable indicates that your local key is not ever validating properly. So that needs to be checked. The local keys system is very reliable normally and should far exceed any solution backup servers could offer.

This can't be related to our downtime, but if you can't sit out the ban time, you can unblock yourself via the tblbannedips table of the database.

Matt

I did not think it was related to the downtime - but only to the fact I tried to log in more than once from different browsers when I got the original error.

Thanks for the suggestion about the tblbannedips - I will delete the banned ip address entry from that table and that should work? I assume?

Matt

Makes sense and I'll follow up on the license issue. I guess it just amazes me that a company in your position would allow downtime to happen. Downtime happens, but being prepared for it is the important part.

Downtime happens, but being prepared for it is the important part.

by this comment i say you have not been in the hosting business that long.

you cannot prepare for all downtime. one of my servers (not one i have clients on) went down all of a sudden and this was caused by an unexpected hard drive failure. this was not forseen by anyone.

you cannot prepare for all downtime. one of my servers (not one i have clients on) went down all of a sudden and this was caused by an unexpected hard drive failure. this was not forseen by anyone.

I think by being prepared, he means having backups available, additional staff on duty to handle increased ticket volumes, etc.

You can indeed prepare for most things that will cause downtime.

Makes sense and I'll follow up on the license issue. I guess it just amazes me that a company in your position would allow downtime to happen. Downtime happens, but being prepared for it is the important part.

See the quoted part below:

That is exactly put. Our company does not allow downtime to happen, but guess what, it still happens. I can report that we had no issues with WHMCS's downtime.

I do think that multiple licensing servers is not a bad idea at all. Sometimes a particular country cannot get internet access outside of that country for some reason (or it is very unreliable), maybe a server in the UK, USA, CANADA, and possible a couple of popular countries that WHMCS services might not be bad.

Hey, even a VPS or a higher end "Shared" host may work.

See the quoted part below:

That is exactly put. Our company does not allow downtime to happen, but guess what, it still happens. I can report that we had no issues with WHMCS's downtime.

I do think that multiple licensing servers is not a bad idea at all. Sometimes a particular country cannot get internet access outside of that country for some reason (or it is very unreliable), maybe a server in the UK, USA, CANADA, and possible a couple of popular countries that WHMCS services might not be bad.

Hey, even a VPS or a higher end "Shared" host may work.

Yeah, that makes sense. I just read what you originally quoted regarding being prepared for downtime.

I'm kinda curious why WHMCS would have a host and not manage they're own box. Seems like installing php and failing. Would put me at least on the fast track to finding a new host lol.

Does anyone know anyone that sells hosting around these parts (jokes) :lol:

But yeah you can't prepare for all downtime no matter how hard you try. Just control the things you can control. :)

A spare server is not a bad idea though. :)

I'm kinda curious why WHMCS would have a host and not manage they're own box. Seems like installing php and failing. Would put me at least on the fast track to finding a new host lol.

you can speak to any host and i can guarantee at some point we have all had php issues, you just fix it and continue. Its not an issue to force you to move hosts.

even if you have a dedicated server this is HOSTED at a datacentre (your host) and they can still do updates etc. on your box and even these can fail.