"Default" template logic seems "illogical"

studioq

I'd like to say thanks for the hard work - I actually love the default theme. It's a great change.

The only question I have is, what is the logic behind the "Order Hosting Only" button linking to a page that displays URL prices?

It seems that when a client clicks that button it should go directly to the Package/service pages.

I know it's a leftover from the old style where, in the workflow, people had to but the URL they wanted to use with the account into the form. But in the case of this button - it really does seem like it's going to dead-end a lot of clients who don't understand what it is they have to do.

Am I missing something?

For now - I just changed the text above it - until something better comes along.

"Start your web hosting experience with us by entering the domain name you want to register or transfer below. If you already have a domain and simply wish to purchase hosting, please enter the name and select Order Hosting Only to continue."

• WHMCS CEO

Yep you missed something :) If you enter a valid domain and click that button, the user is taken to the default product group of your shopping cart to choose a hosting product, and upon selecting it the domain they entered is pre-filled for them on the 2nd step. There is no dead-end, and it doesn't link to domain prices - I suspect you're submitting without entering a valid domain to get that.

Try entering google.com @ http://demo.whmcs.com/ and then click the Hosting Only button.

Matt

you could always do this if you want that button to go to the cart (without a domain)

open homepage.tpl and replace

<form method="post" action="domainchecker.php">
       <input class="bigfield" name="domain" type="text" value="{$LANG.domaincheckerdomainexample}" onfocus="if(this.value=='{$LANG.domaincheckerdomainexample}')this.value=''" onblur="if(this.value=='')this.value='{$LANG.domaincheckerdomainexample}'" /><br /><br />
       <input type="submit" value="{$LANG.checkavailability}" class="btn primary large" /> <input type="submit" name="transfer" value="{$LANG.domainstransfer}" class="btn success large" /> <input type="submit" name="hosting" value="{$LANG.domaincheckerhostingonly}" class="btn large" />
       </form>

with

<form method="post" action="domainchecker.php">
       <input class="bigfield" name="domain" type="text" value="{$LANG.domaincheckerdomainexample}" onfocus="if(this.value=='{$LANG.domaincheckerdomainexample}')this.value=''" onblur="if(this.value=='')this.value='{$LANG.domaincheckerdomainexample}'" /><br /><br />
       <input type="submit" value="{$LANG.checkavailability}" class="btn primary large" /> <input type="submit" name="transfer" value="{$LANG.domainstransfer}" class="btn success large" /> <a href="cart.php" class="btn large">{$LANG.domaincheckerhostingonly}</a></form>
       </form>

Yep you missed something :) If you enter a valid domain and click that button, the user is taken to the default product group of your shopping cart to choose a hosting product, and upon selecting it the domain they entered is pre-filled for them on the 2nd step. There is no dead-end, and it doesn't link to domain prices - I suspect you're submitting without entering a valid domain to get that.

Try entering google.com @ http://demo.whmcs.com/ and then click the Hosting Only button.

Matt

ah makes sense - i guess thats how you do it :D

One way or the other they have to enter a domain - get it.

I think changing the language above it - for me and others who might not get that right away - it a good enough fix. I really do like the template though. Enough to scrap my old one and toss it up in it's place.

Thank you.