Upgrade from 3.0.0 to 3.1.2 errors

I just upgraded from 3.0.0 to 3.1.2 (which took an unbelievably long time, I finally had to upload the .zip file and unzip on the server, as FTP kept timing out or I'd get weird permission errors I've never gotten before).

After several internal server 500 errors, I FINALLY got it working....except that it's like a new install. No information, no servers set up, nothing. My database is THERE, but it's as if a brand new database of the same name (and empty!) was created and overwrote the original database.

And yes, luckily, I made another back up of the database just before upgrading...but my point is...this shouldn't happen.

I'm not seeing anything in the forum that anyone else has had this happen, either, which is very unsettling.

I'm also going through the knowledge base, and I think a section on "What to do if the install goes wrong" would be helpful. The few articles that are there don't even come close to what I'm looking for.

• WHMCS CEO

You uploaded and unzipped on the server, so you had a blank configuration.php file as comes with the default distribution, so WHMCS cannot access your database and therefore has no way of knowing it's already installed. You should have copied your configuration.php file accross from the current install folder and then it would have worked.

Matt

You uploaded and unzipped on the server, so you had a blank configuration.php file as comes with the default distribution, so WHMCS cannot access your database and therefore has no way of knowing it's already installed. You should have copied your configuration.php file accross from the current install folder and then it would have worked.

Matt

I would have, if the instructions said to do that. They didn't. The upgrade instructions state:

To upgrade your WHMCS System, simply follow the instructions below.

1. Unzip the contents of the zip file to a folder on your computer

2. Upload the files to your existing installation folder overwriting any existing files

Actually there shouldn't have been a blank configuration.php file in the 3.1.2 package, should have been configuration.php.new. At least both copies I downloaded b4 are that way.

I thought it was that way as a safety net to protect upgraders?

• 3 weeks later...

I just ran into the same problem. The instructions said to unzip and upload, so I did. It said nothing about the configuration file and now my old config is gone and my upgrade is fudged up.

WHat's supposed to be in the config so I can fix this? Or what do I do know. I haven't over written the DB yet. Thank God.

BTW, there was both a configuration.php and .php.new in the zipped folder. So that is a huge boo boo for us noobs.

I just checked a fresh download of 3.1.2 as well as the one I'd use a few weeks ago to upgrade and there's only the "configuration.php.new" file in each of them.

However, the latest 3.1.1 version download had both in it and still does.

How to fix the upgrade gone wrong? I'd open a ticket, but I suspect it wil involve backing up your database, and running a fresh install, then restoring the database over the top of the new install. You should definitely open a ticket before proceeding!

[EDIT] You might also ask your host if they have a backup they can restore that one file from. That would be the simplest...unless you also made a local backup after your previous install?

That should make it's way into the KB if it's not there already. Install, make a backup of the config file locally.

I just ran into the same problem. The instructions said to unzip and upload, so I did. It said nothing about the configuration file and now my old config is gone and my upgrade is fudged up.

WHat's supposed to be in the config so I can fix this? Or what do I do know. I haven't over written the DB yet. Thank God.

BTW, there was both a configuration.php and .php.new in the zipped folder. So that is a huge boo boo for us noobs.

The instructions said this, which is exactly what I did (and sounds like what you did also). I remember v3.1.1 having both a configuration.php and configuration.php.new, which really confused me.

The following steps will guide you through the process of setting up WHMCS on your server.

2. Rename the file configuration.php.new to configuration.php

3. Upload the entire whmcs folder to your website in binary mode - you can rename the folder
  to whatever you like (support,billing,clients,etc...)

• WHMCS CEO

They are the instructions for a NEW INSTALL. You are upgrading, so you should be looking at the instructions for UPGRADING. Following the new installation instructions when trying to do an upgrade is your own fault and not the fault of the instructions. There is nothing wrong with the steps for the upgrade process.

Matt

They are the instructions for a NEW INSTALL. You are upgrading, so you should be looking at the instructions for UPGRADING. Following the new installation instructions when trying to do an upgrade is your own fault and not the fault of the instructions. There is nothing wrong with the steps for the upgrade process.

Matt

Straight from the readme file.

*********************************************************************************************

*** UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS

*********************************************************************************************

To upgrade your WHMCS System, simply follow the instructions below.

2. Upload the files to your existing installation folder overwriting any existing files

NOTE: You can drastically reduce the amount of files being uploaded by an upgrade by removing

the folder "admin/editor/". This folder contains the files used for the rich text editor in

the admin area which rarely change so you can quite safely skip this folder during the

upload.

3. When upgrading from V3.0.0 to V3.1.2, the following template files which are new or have

changed will need updating in your custom template folder if you have one.

- templates/default/supportticketsubmit-steptwo.tpl

- templates/default/clientareacancelrequest.tpl

- templates/default/clientareadomaindetails.tpl

- templates/default/supportticketview.tpl

- templates/default/viewinvoice.tpl

- templates/default/clientregister.tpl

- templates/orderforms/default/order-stepthree.tpl

- templates/orderforms/default/order-stepfour.tpl

- templates/orderforms/boxes/order-stepthree.tpl

- templates/orderforms/boxes/order-stepfour.tpl

If upgrading from V3.1.1 to V3.1.2 then there are no changed template files.

4. Run the upgrade script at http://www.yourdomain.com/whmcs/install/install.php (choose

Upgrade Install for your version on Step 2 - the upgrade you require will be the only

option enabled)

PLEASE REMEMBER: Before running any upgrade, you should always backup your database.

5. This will guide you through the rest of the upgrade process.

6. Once complete, delete the install folder from your web server.

You should also empty the templates_c directory. This is the template cache directory and

stores cached versions of templates files. It is safe to delete all the files in this

folder. By deleting all the files, the template cache will be recreated ensuring you see

the latest template files changes. If you don't do this, you may see errors when viewing

the client area.

I see nothing about not overwriting your existing config file. On the other hand it does say to overwrite any existing file. WHo's fault is it now?

• WHMCS CEO

LOL! There is no configuration.php file so there is no way you can overwrite it. Before you were quoting the INSTALLATION instructions which tell you to rename the configuration.php.new file to configuration.php. These instructions do not and hence the configuration.php file won't be overwritten by uploading the files. You're just gonna have to accept you made a mistake on this one as the instructions are correct!

Matt

I see nothing about not overwriting your existing config file. On the other hand it does say to overwrite any existing file. WHo's fault is it now?

Yours. You are the one that technical did it! Plus, isn't it kinda common sense that if you remove a file that connects to the database that maybe somehow, anything connecting to the database won't work?

From,

Adam

I just checked a fresh download of 3.1.2 as well as the one I'd use a few weeks ago to upgrade and there's only the "configuration.php.new" file in each of them.

However, the latest 3.1.1 version download had both in it and still does.

Ok, so it wasn't just mine copy. Was there a reason for that?

How to fix the upgrade gone wrong? I'd open a ticket, but I suspect it wil involve backing up your database, and running a fresh install, then restoring the database over the top of the new install. You should definitely open a ticket before proceeding!

I ran into another issue that I haven't reported yet, because I wanted to try and duplicate it to make sure it's a problem first, but immediately before I did this last upgrade I used the back-up utility in WHMCS for the first time.

After the upgrade I went to restore the database (because they way that I did the upgrade wiped out my configuration.php and wiped out the database), and all the data was fine *except* for the clients credit card data, it was corrupt.

Has anyone else run into anything like this? I don't see how I could have done anything that caused the data from one table to become corrupt, all I did was click the "back up" button and save the file, though it's possible it was corrupt when I FTP'ed it.

Anyway, I'm not yet sure the problem has anything to do with WHMCS yet, I was going to back up the db using a standard mysqldump, then try the WHMCS back up utility and see what happens.

Back to the original issue, I'd like to see the wording a little bit more clear on the instructions for upgrading for future upgrade / versions. Like a lot of other things in this business, if it's something I only do every 3-6 months, I might not remember to save the configuration.php from the current install, especially when the instructions say otherwise.

• WHMCS CEO

The configuration.php file does not have to be kept and will never be overwritten by uploading the files. The only way you can lose it is by deleting it or uploading and unzipping on your server like MaraBlue did when you then of course have a brand new set of files and none of the previous ones.

Topic closed.