IRC?

tj

Hey guys,

I'm sure some of you out there are IRC users and was wondering what everyone thought of opening an IRC channel?

Someplace we could talk about whmcs and the hosting industry in general?

Shall I go ahead and set one up? :P

There are so many out there now. Plus if you open a chat then it will 'hurt' the forums. There will be users who want to get support on the chat, and thus will not post here. This will in turn hurt other users on the forum looking for the answer to a problem.

Fair point... I was thinking of one more dedicate to the billing system itself, just general chat and banter not support.

Oh and I dont want to "hurt" the forums or any of the great work you and Matt are doing. Support at WHMCS is the greatest! Could never replace it!

I've never liked IRC much...too random and "busy" for my taste. I much prefer the pace in forums or for support via live chat or ticket. Personally, I don't see the need to set up an IRC channel when discussing things in here provides the most benefit for the most clients/members. Posts remain in plain view, are searchable and so on.

Just my 2 cents...

• 5 weeks later...
It has an advantage of begin able to hope onto it and helping your clients out quickly.

If my clients need help quickly, they can use my live help. This has considerable advantages over IRC including pushing URLs, recording the history within my help desk, providing a seamless interface to my site (by not requiring a separate program or login) and more.

To me (although I don't like it personally) IRC is a recreational communications medium, not something I'd use for business at all. Support shouldn't be handled through a medium where others could be looking on as it happens...in case sensitive data needs to be discussed. Quite often a client will either need or post a password. Better not to do so in a "room" full of listeners. ;)

PS: Yes, I know you can open a private chat with someone using IRC, but I've seen it many times where the user forgets many eyes can see their info and uses the public channel instead.

1. Prone to Hackers - Your information such as; IP, Hostname etc etc is available.

2. DoS Attacks (I was DoS' attacked on EFnet!)

3. Renown for Botnet's

4. Not many people know how to use it - Unlike an IM protocol such as; MSN, Yahoo etc etc.

5. It's not PROFESSIONAL!