Boardoo source and legal opinions

It looks like Steve White, aka rmccny, has all but abandoned his addons, site and support.

He refuses to answer emails and has completely killed his site.

So my question is this.... does this allow people that bought the source to release it to the public for people that bought the encoded source ?

I ask this because I know a lot of people bought his addons encoded and Steve offered dev, un-encoded, source at one time.

Now that he seems to be gone does this constitute abandoned code ? I know that some people that have the encoded source like me are having problems with them and WHMCS 4.4.x and they aren't working anymore or have other issues.

Any opinions ?

This what I see

12:20AM EDT Sunday Dec 12: We are continuing to work to restore data to the CMS and other backend systems. The customer portal is down for maintenance as well. We estimate that service will be fully restored by 5:00PM EST Sunday, Dec 12.

Thank you for your patience...

So my question is this.... does this allow people that bought the source to release it to the public for people that bought the encoded source ?

My opinion is that this set of circumstances does not automatically grant you the right to do what you propose. Still, it is just an opinion. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Best of luck,

Rick

So people that paid for a lifetime license should be deprived of that because the developer disappears ? That doesn't sound right either.

I agree with you, Scott. OTOH, you asked for an opinion on the question "does this allow people that bought the source to release it to the public for people that bought the encoded source?" and my opinion is that it does not.

I'm all for rooting for the underdog and fixing issues of unfairness, and I do think that everyone who paid for this extension has been treated badly, but unless there was some specific agreement between you and the author that we don't know about, I'm afraid that my opinion remains unchanged. But as I said before, it's simply my opinion and I could be wrong.

Rick

I guess we should start calling him.... if he wont answer his emails and has shutdown his site.

Taken from his public whois for the domain.....

Domain Name: BOARDOO.COM

Registrant:

Retail Media Concepts LLC

Steve White (steve_white@wcny.org)

5152 Montgomery Road

Fayetteville

New York,13066

US

Tel. +1.3157275339

There are two other options not mentioned so far.

1. File a complaint with the BBB

2. File a complaint with the NY, Attorney Generals Office.

I am one that purchased the CAMM add on. I also own the menu building program he used to make the CAMM add on. Which means I own about 70% of it already. What I don't have is the actual integration.

The menu app is NLSMENU PROFESSIONAL from addobject.com.

Grand Re-Opening

by Steve Published on 12-23-2010 01:54 PM

After a few months of neglecting the site and our products we have decided to give Boardoo a badly needed cleanup and product overhaul. Also, recently we had to move to a new server due to a RAID controller failure which caused data corruption on our databases and some lost data.

All forum and blog posts, article comments, and visitor comments have been removed due to an extremely high volume of SPAM. It was just not practical for our staff to try to weed through the mess and instead we chose to start fresh.

There are also several changes in our product and service line-up effective immediately.

All hosting products have been discontinued effective today.

We are currently in negotiations with over service providers to take over our clients with paid hosting products.

zenPhoto Gallery Hosting:

Our zenPhoto hosting product has been discontinued due to lack of interest. All photo gallery hosting has been removed effective immediately as there were no legitimate, non-spam galleries as determined by our staff and. No backups of existing will be offered, and we have no plans to relaunch this service as this time.

Wordpress Blog Hosting:

Clients of our Wordpress blog hosting may contact our support and request a backup of their blogs. These will remain online until we re-launch our updated blog hosting product in January of 2011.

phpBB Forum Hosting:

Our phpBB hosting product has been discontinued due to lack of interest. All free forums will remain online through the end of the year. We are currently negotiating with other service providers to take over our paid client forums. Clients wishing a backup may contact our support department no later than December 31st to request a database backup free of charge. No backups will be offered after December 31st. We have no plans to re-launch this service at this time.

DirectAdmin Web Hosting:

We have decided to discontinue our unprofitable web hosting products. After nearly 2 years in the business we have found it difficult to make that part of our business profitable. Effective today, no new sign ups for any web hosting product will be accepted. We are currently negotiating with other service providers to take over our paid clients. We are seeking similar arrangements for our free web hosting clients however no continuity of free service is guaranteed; free clients are encouraged to log into DirectAdmin to make a backup of their account before the termination of service on December 31st. No backups will be available after that date.

Renewed Focus on WHMCS Add-on Modules

Starting with this re-launch of Boardoo we will be making a renewed focus on our suite of WHMCS Add-on products. Our attention to these products and their support have been lapse over the past few months which is a fact that we deeply regret. Our attention has been divided across so many unprofitable areas of our business that it has distracted us from what is really important. Starting now, and building into through 2011 we will strive to regain the confidence and trust of our valued customers.

MyProducts & MyDomains will both receive minor updates before December 31st.

WMU/SPM, our Wordpress provisioning module will be re-worked to run on Wordpress 3.x and a new private beta will be launched by December 31st.

Other products such as vBLink will be released with all necessary updates in January 2011.

Appears to back online, Read the bold, they discontinuing the hosting services until further notice and making WHMCS a priority, I don't use his add-ons.

no its not -- just the frontpage is, everything else is still dead including WHMCS backend and he also says there was data loss. Instead of Steve coming here and explaining he simply shut the site down and deleted everything including all the complaints about addons that were starting to fail to work. That made his business look fishy and as far I am concerned he hasn't done anything to right everything that failed in the past.. he just made it worse by ignoring a lot of disappointed clients that bought addons that ended up being useless.

Just see https://www.boardoo.com/cp/myproducts.php -- dead dead dead....

Edited by sgrayban

And last week he had....

12:20AM EDT Sunday Dec 12: We are continuing to work to restore data to the CMS and other backend systems. The customer portal is down for maintenance as well. We estimate that service will be fully restored by 5:00PM EST Sunday, Dec 12.

And the week before he had the same thing just different dates.

So what's the point ? That he likes dragging things on ?

Yup its up but he isn't letting anyone buy addons -- a few people I know tried to buy them and there order has stayed pending since they paid and Steve isn't answering there support tickets on why it's taking so long to approve the sales.

1 guy just spent $120 Saturday and 24 hours later he still hasn't been able to download them.