[NOT A BUG] Guessing Ticket ID

EstebanC

What happen if a customer send an email and write a subject randomly with for example "Re: [Ticket ID: 656050] "

and the number of the Ticket ID is the same with one in the database? The email is sending appears directly in the thread of an old ticket with that number...

Isn't this a bug?

Thanks!

• WHMCS CEO

Why should it? Many times a client won't reply from on their registered email address. And why does it matter that somebody else can add a reply to somebody elses ticket? They aren't being granted any access to see that ticket, so it shouldn't be an issue. Restricting to just one email address for replies would cause more problems than it solves with missed replies.

Perhaps the inherent problem is with the ticket numbers themselves. Generating a 6 digit ticket id using only numbers could cause a problem in the long term. However, If the ticket ID were to use letters as well, that would greatly reduce the chance of a collision such as this happening.

Generating a 6 digit ticket id using only numbers could cause a problem in the long term. However, If the ticket ID were to use letters as well, that would greatly reduce the chance of a collision such as this happening.

I don't see my business hitting any collisions if you consider that 6 digits, using 0-9 should be able to produce 1 million unique numbers, I believe. If I get that many tickets, well, wow.