Multiple domains - single database?

rbro

I know there have been a few threads on this, but I'm looking for any solution or workarounds for having multiple domains working with a single database. I'm willing to purchase multiple licenses if necessary. We're going to have a new main website as well as a "dedicated server portal". I'd like each site to have its own order form, but all customers in a single WHMCS database. Is this doable somehow?

I know there have been a few threads on this, but I'm looking for any solution or workarounds for having multiple domains working with a single database. I'm willing to purchase multiple licenses if necessary. We're going to have a new main website as well as a "dedicated server portal". I'd like each site to have its own order form, but all customers in a single WHMCS database. Is this doable somehow?

Can you not do this just by having all the installations using the same DB details ?

I'm willing to purchase multiple licenses if necessary.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

Lets see, thats 5 extra *monthly* licenses I would purchase, in addition to a development license.

I would like the client section and order forms to be totally separate from the admin area.

• WHMCS CEO

So you mean like remote order forms that you could put anywhere and interface with the one database? Wouldn't you then also need some way of tracking which order form an order came from, and then which login links to send in client emails, and which domain to send to view support tickets, invoices, etc... different return urls for payment gateways??? It's much more complicated than just allowing for the frontend to be put in more than 1 location.

Matt

Matt,

Ubersmith does it. WHMAP does it. WHMCS should do it.

Modernbill does remote order forms.

There would only be one admin area to view support tickets.

Allow creation of seperate emails, responders etc for each "profile"

I am sure its complicated, if it wasn't we would all have our own system coded. There is a definite call for these enhancements.

Are you dead set against it? Or are you just not excited about doing it, but *might* consider it?

Hey,

This would be an awesome feature. I'm planning on using WHMCS for a few different sites I have, and I really do not want to login to like 3 different admin areas to check billing and what not. Currently I just have WHMCS installed on my popular site to handle everything.

However, I am planning on moving my support and billing to a central domain which will handle all these. But if WHMCS could add remote order forms, that would be cool.

However, I know that this will be no easy walk in the park as this would require a *hit load of time and testing. Not to mention that you want x order forms to send out different emails and different company names! So this will take a *hit load of time.

Anyways, I'm all for it, but do remember this will take a lot of time to code and develop a system like this.

From,

Adam

So you mean like remote order forms that you could put anywhere and interface with the one database? Wouldn't you then also need some way of tracking which order form an order came from, and then which login links to send in client emails, and which domain to send to view support tickets, invoices, etc... different return urls for payment gateways??? It's much more complicated than just allowing for the frontend to be put in more than 1 location.

Matt

Well yes, but for the time being I can deal with some workaround. I suppose for now I could even have both order forms on domain 1, but I'd need 1 order form for shared and reseller only and one just for ded servers. Yes, eventually having each order form live on its own separate domain, with welcome emails sent from the proper domains etc. would be ideal, but for now I may be able to squeak by with just the 2 separate order forms, but yeah now that I think about it, login links etc. makes it a little tricky. I'm just wondering since 1 site is purely shared and reseller hosting and one is purely dedicated servers if it may be easier for me to make this work. Also 1 domain is a "derivative" of the other, like domain1.com and domain1servers.com, so I'm ok with linking back and forth between the 2.[/i]

• WHMCS CEO
I am sure its complicated, if it wasn't we would all have our own system coded. There is a definite call for these enhancements.

Are you dead set against it? Or are you just not excited about doing it, but *might* consider it?

I'm not saying I'm against it, I'm just saying it's not as simple as buying a second license and being able to duplicate the files.

Matt

I apologize if I made it sound that way. I knew it would take more that that.

I am guessing you would be required to setup profiles in the admin area, then configure each profile just like you do know, down to the registrar and ticket system level. Then on each remote instance, have a config file that you set which profile to use and a way to license that instance for the domain.

One really good thing that you have going is the "duplicate a product". It would be good if you could use "duplicated a profile", since most of the time they are not going to be that much different. On second thought most of mine would... well the products but thats about it.

When do we get started brainstorming :D

Matt,

Ubersmith does it. WHMAP does it. WHMCS should do it.

ModernBill does remote order forms.

There would only be one admin area to view support tickets.

Allow creation of seperate emails, responders etc for each "profile"

What i don't understand is if there is a better billing system you like,

why do you use WHMCS? I don't see the point of having several billing systems that is all alike.

I got this because it wasn't to big and had the main features that is needed to run a hosting company.

I do agree that smaller modification is needed but i think there is to many Feature Requests

poring in every day. As soon as Matt has uploaded a new release is everyone asking when the

next version is ready and released.

If i would like to have a big and complicated billing system i would choose a different one then WHMCS!

Ummmm.... I never said I liked anything better, *nor* did I imply that. I was simply stating the fact that other applications offered this functionality... so the difficulty must not be that great, especially since Matt runs circles around them with the ability to spit out good code.

Did you actually read through my post? Maybe you should go back and read it line for line.

I am guessing that Matt is making a living by coding WHMCS, and to grow as a company he will need to add features (and pricing) or the app will become stagnated over time and people will simply pass it up for not keeping up with demand. To think otherwise is a little naive' on your part.

If you have a simple hosting operation, good for you. When you grow beyond shared hosting and actually selling hosting from more than single domain, it gets vastly more complicated.

I have chosen WHMCS but to get rid of Ubersmith, I do need additional features that I simply *can't* do without, unless I want to add to my workload... and that is just not an option at this point.

Matt has already stated that he is working on some features that are needed by the WHMCS community. This is just one of those features that I want because it will make selling from different domains easier.

Oh, and after a client signs up and I have the opportunity to explain the domain they purchased hosting from is *not* the company name, then I don't mind if they get support from one central location.

During the order process, I would like to make it as seamless as possible with the site they are buying hosting from, but as it sits right now, I can't do that.

• 2 weeks later...

The larger the scope of application the more it will be complicated. This is what is right now with mb and other big thing. I tried many billing apps in last few months and found that larger the application its more complicated to setup. What i like about WHMCS is its quick setup. I started setting up WHMCS and withing couple of hours all was set to go. It seems to have all basic functionality to support WHM/Cpanel.

I understand that at some point you need more functionality but not every software do every thing and not every software can support all business models. If you just accomadate every feature request, what you will get in the end is a big mess.

This is just my thoughts.

Tharani