2CO - Don't like SSH

ozmo

Apparently 2checkout.com do not support any company who offer SSH services to their clients.

They do not mention this anywhere in their aggrement, disclaimer or policy documents. I was told this by a sales person 2 months after my purchase.

They will however let you purchase their products without any chance of a refund. They simply refuse to let your company offer their services.

Their seemingly non-existant support ticket system is also a major letdown.

Very dissapointing :(

Hey,

This doesn't make sense, why would they care about SSH (secure shell)? I think you might mean SSL (which is secure connection like https).

I have also checked threw their legal content and have found no talk about either the end user having to have or not have SSL or SSH.

You should contact 2CO's upper management and ask them as a sales rep. might have told you the wrong information.

From,

Adam

Hey,

This doesn't make sense, why would they care about SSH (secure shell)? I think you might mean SSL (which is secure connection like https).

I know it doesn't make sense. That is exactly what I asked the stupid person on the other end of the phone.

I said: "Do you mean SSL?"

2CO: "No, I see on file the reason for the refusal is... Vendor is offering SSH services to their clients"

I said: "How does this affect 2CO?"

2CO: "I am not sure what SSH is sir... so I can't comment"

I then went on to explain to her what SSH is but she cut me off and suggested I submit a support ticket to the techs.

I said: "I have already submitted a support ticket and have gotten no response in almost 4 days... This is why I'm calling you!"

2CO: "We apologize for the delay.. we are very busy and have a lot of tickets to process"

That's pretty much how it went give or take a few brain cells.

I will call them again shortly. I may try the UK number and see if I get the same response.

I agree that this doesn't make sense and the fact that it is not mentioned anywhere in there guidelines leads me to think that it may be a conspiracy plot to destroy my company and ruin my livelyhood. :)

Better to laugh than cry.

I'll post here again when I speak with someone @ 2CO with some basic knowledge of their TOS.

Hey Guys,

This is on their website:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following products and services CANNOT be sold:

* IRC Chat Hosting, Game Server Hosting, Shell Accounts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_account

Cheers,

Ozzie

We have a reseller on a ded server that encountered this problem and took it up with their sr management.

From what I can recall they adopted our policy of requiring official state-issued identification and made end-users sign a waiver. With that, they were able to continue using their 2CO account. I am unaware of all the exact details.

That said, that policy may sound ludicrous but they are just protecting their asses... and so should you ;)

Get offline CC processing. Its a little more expensive what with the terminals but the merchant banks dont charge much for recieving funds. In fact they give you a free limit each month.

If you currently recieve more than £2000 a month that costs me just 3.5% in charges. whereas 2CO charge 5.5% and $0.45.

Pretty much a * in my opinion but then again i stopped using 2CO last month as i found a cheaper route.

I offered SSH last month and they closed my account without any notice.

They even froze my funds due to being in breach of the compliancy notice when i signed up.

Im only just getting the legal bit sorted for this and that has taken months.

I merchant bank now with Abbey formally know as ( Abbey National )

Dom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The amount of times we've heard 2CO is useless isn't worth mentioning. As for SSH access that's just stupid and the sad fact about it all is they're probably still getting new clients on a daily basis.

SSH last time I checked was essential for most backend manual operations for cPanel. *sighs and shakes head in dismay*

• 2 weeks later...
The amount of times we've heard 2CO is useless isn't worth mentioning. As for SSH access that's just stupid and the sad fact about it all is they're probably still getting new clients on a daily basis.

Interesting that Matt uses 2CO.

SSH last time I checked was essential for most backend manual operations for cPanel. *sighs and shakes head in dismay*

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops... I forgot to update.

Well... after many weeks of no response or service from 2CO they finally contacted me and said "if you simply remove any instances of SSH on your site we will reopen your account".... WTF sort of cowboy company is that?

So I removed the instances and what would you know..... I still use them only for existing minor transactions and do not offer their services to new clients of mine. I just haven't got around to closing my account, but I will.

Just thought you might like to know :)

Whoops... I forgot to update.

Well... after many weeks of no response or service from 2CO they finally contacted me and said "if you simply remove any instances of SSH on your site we will reopen your account".... WTF sort of cowboy company is that?

So I removed the instances and what would you know..... I still use them only for existing minor transactions and do not offer their services to new clients of mine. I just haven't got around to closing my account, but I will.

Just thought you might like to know :)

I gotta ask...."remove the instances"? Do they mean not advertise you offer shell access? Or...?

Cuz clearly you can't *remove* SSH. Well, OK, you can...but not if you ever want to fix anything on th server.

I find it amusing and scary 2CO deals with web hosts and yet clearly, by the terminology they use, don't have a clue.

I gotta ask...."remove the instances"? Do they mean not advertise you offer shell access?

Yes, I had SSH Access listed as a feature supplied with my hosting plans. So I simply removed the text from the hosting plans page and ofcourse I did not disable or remove SSH from the server then I contacted 2CO to let them know I was a good little boy.... and BAM! back in business.

I find it amusing and scary 2CO deals with web hosts and yet clearly, by the terminology they use, don't have a clue.

I still wonder if the whole thing was just a bad dream... what scares me is the fact that these people actually handle financial transactions! AAARRRGGGHHH!

We currently use 2CO and when their "security dept" checked on our site he commented that we can offer SSH as long as the persons being issued SSH access supplied you a copy of an official "certified" photo identification; we are in compliance with 2CO Rules.

A friend worked for a hosting company that granted their subscribers SSH access and they were eventually "hacked" as a result it cost his company a lot of money and headaches.

Therefore, the advise from 2CO and our Legal Advisor was to adopted a measure to identify a potential hack. By the way, getting that information will not stop the attack, but it will deter them if you have the information that will allow law enforcement officials to find and arrest them.

My 2 cents

Yeah, after some of the 2CO things I've seen, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. It's probably easier (in the long run) to setup a merchant gateway from one of the many different providers (MerchantPlus comes to mind). I'd much rather pay $20 a month to know I will get good quality support, be able to reach somebody on the phone if I need to, and not have to deal with any loopholes that could get my account terminated.

Alex