Would anyone use a geoip mod ?

sgrayban

It's telling me I'm in France but I'm from the UK which MaxMind correctly reports, it seems like it needs some updating. I don't really see the point in this though?

The data comes from http://www.ipinfodb.com and in my testing its pretty accurate. Your IP block could have been moved or your ISP simply changed the location for it.

As for why ? If you aren't interested why did you post ?

Ok well I for one do not use anything just because I can. For me there has to be some purpose. I don't have time to waste on something just because I can.

uhhh :?:

Apparently you do have time to waste to comment on something you clearly do not want. It's not like me or anyone else has forced you to comment on it.

As for the mod I'll put the download link in my signature when its ready and I'll post back. If you don't want it or need it don't waste my time posting moot replies.

Apparently you do have time to waste to comment on something you clearly do not want. It's not like me or anyone else has forced you to comment on it.

I never said I did not want it. I was asking a question so that I would know if I wanted it or not. I was hoping you had a reason I had not thought of. I am here to learn. The reason I even read the post is because I was interested in what you were offering. I was hoping your idea was to use it in fraud protection or something. Clearly you have misinterpreted my questions and responses.

This isn't really for fraud protection and it doesn't store any info but I do use it on my main page and on my checkout page to discourage people that want to steal my services.

When they see you can tell where they are located or close to it they tend to leave. I also use an apache mod that will prevent access if they are listed on any proxy/tor rbl.

Those 2 things have reduced my fraud signups to 0% now.

BTW the info is pulled via API from ipinfodb.com so there is no database to install. It's just 1 file and the include line above. Oh and it uses external country flags which I would include.

Edited by sgrayban

I didn't want to use the perl mod because that meant the user would have to install a external program. Something that a lot of people here have problems doing.

Using a API that was free and easy to code seemed to be the easiest to way to do it.

Geo::IP has a whole set of other issues to deal with like constantly having to download the new database and the free one isn't updated constantly opposed to the paid one which can use a cron job to update.

Thus a free, no database, no downloads, no external programs to install, API that was nearly 99% accurate was the way to go.

The data comes from http://www.ipinfodb.com and in my testing its pretty accurate. Your IP block could have been moved or your ISP simply changed the location for it.

As for why ? If you aren't interested why did you post ?

Because this is a public forum and I can?

We had a mod developed which automatically displayed pricing depending on which country the visitor was from. IMO that would be much more useful than just displaying the info.

• 3 months later...