state field

Adamski

Can I make the state/region field a non required field?

Thanks,

Adam

Hey,

I highly recommend that you keep it, but I believe (not sure) you can just remove it from the template. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From,

Adam

Well your in London - so what is your county? I'm in Manchester I don't have a county... etc etc. I have a client in Edinburgh....

I'm not arguing the validity of the field - I would just like to make it non required so if someone who doesn't have a county can sign up easily!

Read the third...

I dont want to remove the field ( I am assuming that you mean to just take out that whole field). I want to keep it. I would just like the option to take the * away so it isn't a required field on signup.

Ad

Hey,

Then no, this can't be done.

From,

Adam

• 1 year later...
Hey,

I highly recommend that you keep it, but I believe (not sure) you can just remove it from the template. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From,

Adam

Your wrong. Just for grins and giggles, I tried your suggestion. (I have no desire to remove this, I just felt like testing the claim.) I tested this by removing it from the template, upon submission it still tells you that you are missing the State data.

Why not just change the template from

<tr>
         <td class="fieldarea">{$LANG.clientareastate}</td>
         <td><input type="text" name="state" size=25 value="{$clientstate}">
           *</td>
       </tr>

To

<tr>
         <td class="fieldarea">{$LANG.clientareastate}</td>
         <td><input type="text" name="state" size=25 value="Optional"  onClick="this.value=''>
           </td>
       </tr>

This way, form processor script is satisfied by having a value in State, but the "Optional" goes away immediately when the user clicks the field, making it easy for the customer to enter something without removing the existing value if they want to change it.

That is a great idea, but there's a small flaw :>

It seems that our when our clients think it's optional, they actually delete the text "optional" and try to proceed with the order. The same problems occurs again and even though the field should be optional, it has to be actually filled.

True, but in the event that it would be a valid field, the end user can't use it either. But then again with the existence of postal codes, there's really no need to even have city or state.

Not sure how it is over there... But I could send a letter by post to street address and zip code and it will get there just as efficiently as it would with the city and state too.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up this somewhat old topic.

I'm trying to achieve the same thing, but with both state and country (since I'm only allowing clients from my country).

Which files contain these specific fields? Tried searching, but couldn't find them.